Signal strength question

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
copiman

Signal strength question

Post by copiman »

First off, is there a users guide that I can access? I have looked but have yet to find one.

I want to test my dad's wifi strength in his house. I have downloaded Vistumbler v10.6 and have it on my laptop. Here is where I am confused. Not sure how to read the Signal, High Signal, RSSI, High RSSI columns. What is a good signal versus a weak signal, like -24 versus -65? Is the higher number better or the lower number. This looks like a great tool, but the user (me) needs some help.
copiman

Signal strength question

Post by copiman »

I think I may have answered my question, but would like clarification from someone who really knows this. Here is where I found my answer.

http://www.metageek.com/training/resour ... -rssi.html
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Signal strength question

Post by pferland »

Yup that metageek article explains it well. Unfortunately there is no users guode for vistumbler as neither Andrew nor myself have taken the timebto write one yet. We tend to use the forums as a psudoguide for the time being.

-phil
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
copiman

Signal strength question

Post by copiman »

Thank you for the response. I tested the signal by starting next to the router and the walked around the house with my laptop while the program was running and saw a significant change in the signal strength. Your tool helped explain why they were dropping off the network while being in different parts of the house. Guess its time for a booster. Thanks again for your response and Vistumbler. Great tool. :D
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Signal strength question

Post by arizonajon »

For what you're doing, you might consider this tool:

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-sof ... wifi-free/

Cheers - Jon