AVG Reports a virus

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
BobWx

AVG Reports a virus

Post by BobWx »

AVG Free Version 8 suddenly reports today that Vistumbler is a virus. Anyone else?

Screen shot:

ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: AVG Reports a virus

Post by ACalcutt »

Thats not good... I'll have to submit a sample to AVG and try to get that resolved. Anyone else have this problem?

what definition version are you using
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I downloaded AVG since it seems to be the only way to report a false positive but Vistumbler.exe is not detecting as a virus for me. my update.exe from my latest beta is though.

I have sent in the update.exe to avg as a false positive. could you submit vistumber.exe to avg for analisis?
BobWx

Post by BobWx »

My AVG free is V 8.0.173
Virus DB 270.7.6/1711

I have submitted vistumber.exe to AVG for analysis
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

The one i downloaded is the same...I wonder why yours detects and mine doesn't

Thank you for submitting the file.

I assure you that vistumbler is not a virus and it is safe to ignore this message(unless it became infected afterwards somehow). Also, the source code is included (vistumbler.au3) so you could always compile your own exe to be sure (and check the code to see what it does).

Thank you for bringing this to my attention

-Andrew
celsmk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by celsmk »

I have the same problem with Vistumbler 8.1 and AVG (8.0.173, DB 270.7.6/1711).

Tried to download Beta 9 (Vistumbler9.0_Beta1.zip) but our Sonicwall Firewall´s Gateway Anti-virus (by Mcafee) is flagging virus (Autoit.FS_2 Trojan).

Celsmk
rfwolf

Post by rfwolf »

I am getting the same report of the latest vistumbler.exe file containing "virus identified worm autoit.dnv" from AVG v8. Tried to send file to AVG for analysis, but send fails with error message "sending of the selected virus sample fails." Helpful. NOT.

Any ideas on this? I really liked vistumbler and was using it for a couple of days before AVG barfed on it. So I moved vistumbler.exe to the virus vault, then when I tried to restore it, AVG could not restore it.

Hmm.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

you can add a resident shield exception to you vistumbler folder. ( Tools --> Advanced Settings -> Resident shield --> Exceptions --> Add Path)

Thats the only solution i have right now...other than to turn off resident shield (but i wouldn't recommend doing that). Hopefully they fix the definitions. I submitted a file and bobwx submitted a file. The only thing I can really do is ask that any user that has this problem, please submit it to the antivirus provider for further testing.
RoninV

Post by RoninV »

Let us know win/if AVG concludes their analysis, please.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

If I hear anything I will let you know. I haven't heard anything back about the sample I sent.

Does anyone have a email address to contact AVG?
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

Goto the Help at the top of your Avir and you will find it. If not here it is.

> http://www.avira.de/kontakt
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I sent this to the email on that page. I will let you know if I get any response
from Andrew Calcutt <ACalcutt@vistumbler.net>
to info@avira.at

Hello AVG

My Program, Vistumbler (www.vistumbler.net), is falsely being detected as a virus by AVG. Many users have been reporting this to me on my forum and other ways (http://forum.techidiots.net/forum/viewt ... ?f=8&t=139)

I have submitted this through avg as a false positive, but did not receive any response and the problem still exists. What is the best way for me to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Andrew Calcutt
Vistumbler.net
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Well, hopefully all you avg users should now be all set :-)
Avira GmbH <virus_malware@avira.com> Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:10 AM
Reply-To: Avira GmbH <virus_malware@avira.com>
To: acalcutt@vistumbler.net
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

We could not find a virus in the attachment you have sent us.
The alert you have got was a false positive. That false positive will not be longer detected by AntiVir with the current VDF.

Attachment(s) you sent:
URL's from your mail
I am unable to send a zip file with a exe from my email account (google apps does not allow it apparently)

The files in question can be download here. If this is no enough please let me know.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/vistum ... ler8.1.zip <-- Latest Stable Release
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/vistum ... _Beta5.zip <-- Latest Beta Release

2008/11/21 Avira GmbH <virus_malware@avira.com>
- Hide quoted text -

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

We could not check what you have written in your mail because you haven't sent us the suspicious file.
Please send this file as a zip-file with password back to this call. If you have to send the file as original, please use the following email account: virus_malware@avira.com

We will test it in our virus lab to give you a quick reply.

--
Freundliche Gruesse / Best regards
Avira GmbH

Fabian Henne
First Level Support

Avira GmbH
Lindauer Str. 21, D-88069 Tettnang, Germany
Internet: http://www.avira.com

Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter: Tjark Auerbach
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tettnang; AG Ulm HRB 630992
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I just relized that contact information is for avira and not AVG. they are two separate antiviruses. does anybody have a way to contact AVG?
Java-Jon

Post by Java-Jon »

AVG responds...

This email is an auto-response message. Please do not reply.

AVG Anti-virus Research Lab has analyzed the file(s) you have sent from your AVG Virus Vault. Below you can find the results for each file. The final verdict on the file is either a correct detection or a false positive detection.

Further information about the verdicts are available at our website:
http://www.avg.com/faq-1184

"C:\Program Files\Vistumbler\Vistumbler.exe" - detection is correct

Best regards,

AVG Technical Support
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I wonder on what basis they came to that conclusion. Vistumbler is not a virus.
troy

Post by troy »

Hi, I have used Vistumbler in the past and it's a great program. I am however concerned about the AVG scan results showing this as a virus. And now I'm even more concerned after AVG's email response confirmed it is a virus. Andrew, you have written a great program, but I am even more dismayed by your seemingly half-hearted attempt to clear your good name and your awesome program from being categorized as a virus/malware program. I personally don't think Vistumbler is a virus, but your weak efforts to prove yourself leave me and others very concerned.

Instead of asking others about where you can contact AVG and then doing nothing for days when someone gives you the wrong link speaks volumes. Take action! Fight to clear your name and your software! Stop asking others for information that you can easily find yourself. Become active and locate the necessary contact information yourself. A simple search on Google can give you a a ton of information (I did, and it took me just 30 seconds to find all the required AVG contact info)

If this were my program that had been mislabeled the same way, I would not rest until I had emailed, phoned everyone in AVG, and even driven to their offices myself, if need be. Why aren't you doing the same? And instead of asking "I wonder on what basis they came to that conclusion", here on the forum and then doing nothing about it, why don't you become active, contact and ask them yourself, and then show them where they are wrong and have them clear you.

Here to prod you along, why don't you start with the link in AVG's email to their technical department:
http://www.avg.com/support-technical

I have stopped using Vistumbler, and I want to start using it again, but we need real confirmation and peace of mind. You wrote a great program, so don't let AVG label you as a virus/malware writer!

Hoping you'll take action.
Best of luck.
Troy
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I'm sorry if you feel I did not try hard enough to get my program cleared by AVG. I installed AVG on my own computer (even though I am extremely happy with Sophos Antivirus). I scanned my v8.1 files and they came up as viruses (only in AVG, as shown above). I sent them in as false positives to AVG and never received any response. I have filled in that form above (http://www.avg.com/support-technical) and also received no response. There is a reason i am asking for better contact information.

I attempted to contact them by the email address I was given here (only to notice later that the email was for antivir, doh)

At this point I am tired of trying to contact this company. It sucks that they are ruining my programs and my own credibility, but they have not yet responded to anything I have sent.

If you choose not to use the program, thats up to you. As always, the source code is included (au3 files) in every version of vistumbler to help your decision.

Also, as i just verified again by downloading and installing AVG, Vistumbler 9.0 is not detected as a virus for me. So at this point I have no reason to contact AVG again. Virus DB version: 270.9.13/1828
celsmk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by celsmk »

Hi, I confirm that Vistumbler 9.0 is NOT reported as virus by AVG 8.0

Thanks,

Celsmk
jukitx

Post by jukitx »

ACalcutt wrote:you can add a resident shield exception to you vistumbler folder. ( Tools --> Advanced Settings -> Resident shield --> Exceptions --> Add Path)

Thats the only solution i have right now...other than to turn off resident shield (but i wouldn't recommend doing that). Hopefully they fix the definitions. I submitted a file and bobwx submitted a file. The only thing I can really do is ask that any user that has this problem, please submit it to the antivirus provider for further testing.
thank you andrew :)

I solved!
I donwload vistumbler 9, not virus detected. But when you update to vistumbler 9.01 (updated) AVG detect virus! Using AVG antivirus free 8.0.237 (270.10.25/1955) spanish version.

now all its ok. Thanks and good job!
:D
chriskeeble

Post by chriskeeble »

The problem is back. AVG 8 (Network Internet Security version) is showing Vistumbler as a false positive.

I have sent the file for anlaysis in the hope that AVG will once again get their definitions updated.

This can be worked around by adding an exclusion (to the installation path) to AVG's Resident Shield, though this should not be done without careful consideration of course 8)

Regards

Chris

http://www.pamsoftware.com
R4t4n

Post by R4t4n »

I have experienced the same thing couple of years ago where my antivirus software gave me a lot of convenience. It’s good to know that it was a false positive detection when this has been detected. The Vistumbler was very easy to install.
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

Hallo Andy

No Problems here with the Paid Ver. from AV so i think it must be on the non payed Ver. :wink:

Or its all that info that your Proggi is sucking out of them Sticks. :mrgreen:

Gruss Freebe.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

With the ad in the signature it makes me think its a fake account.... sometimes its hard to tell
yongping

Post by yongping »

About this topic ,it's hard to say.
car camera