No adapters found

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
lucyniccio

No adapters found

Post by lucyniccio »

Hi Everybody

I've installed Vistumbler v10.3 in my pc and i am trying to use it, but i don´t know why there are not any adapters on the interface menu . It just shows "No adapters Found". why this happens? What am i doing wrong?

Lucy
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: No adapters found

Post by ACalcutt »

Are you able to use the wireless adapters you have outside of vistumbler?
jackhammer

Post by jackhammer »

ACalcutt wrote:Are you able to use the wireless adapters you have outside of vistumbler?
I too have the same issue as the previous poster. My wifi adapter is a broadcom and works as is evident by netstumbler working and finding a host of AP's. However, when looking in the VISTUMBLER interface menu, "No Adapters found". Unfortunately I have found no area to "ADD" an adapter. Repeated attempts at refreshing interfaces are to no avail. Language is set to English.
Any assist would be appreciated.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

What version of windows are you using.
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

I have the same problem Vistumbler 10.5.1, Win 7 Ultimate 64, latest updates, D-Link 825, latest firmware.

I have 12 working devices on my wifi. Vist Interface says "No Adaptor Found"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

It may happen if Vistumbler is running in xp compatibility mode. One way to tell if vistumbler is in compatibility mode would be if (Options --> Use Native Wifi) is grayed out and unselctable.
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

I selected use Native and re-started and now it detects both of my devices, Now when I say to scan it scans forever but does not report anything. How long does scan usually take?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

If you were able to change the native wifi setting it must not be what I was thinking. (otherwise the option would have been disabled)

Its strange it detected your adapter in one mode but not the other since it uses the same code to detect adapters in both modes.

the only other thing I can thing of at the moment is to try right clicking the Vistumbler shortcut and selecting "Run As Administrator"
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

Default after install was USE Native WIFI, but no devices are detected. When I uncheck it and re-start, the program detects my devices. It makes no difference in either mode if I Run as Admin or not.

When the program DOES detect devices, and I tell it to scan, it scans but does not report / display anything with No Graph, Graph1 or 2. However there is a message at top right that keeps flashing saying _TreeviewListviewResize() and ScanAcessPoints()

USE GPS gives "Error Opening GPS Port"

Kim Komando recommended this but I am about to give up on it if you cannot help me get it working. Thanks for your assistance.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Are you using a EN-US version of windows 7 or another language?
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

EN-US
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Hate to say it but you have me stumped. Does another scanner like inssider ( http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ ) work?
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

Don't Know Looks like I cannot try inssider for free. For what it's worth, Wireless Network Watcher works.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_n ... tcher.html
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

That stinks... inSSIDer used to be another free open source scanner. Looks like they have gone and locked up the code.

If you want to continue I have a few things you can try.
1.) See if a switch to the stable release makes any difference ( Go to [Settings --> Vistumbler Settings]. Uncheck "Check For Beta Updates".) Restart vistumbler and update when it asks
2.) Turn on debugging. In [Settings --> Debug] check "Display Functions" and "Dispaly COM errors".]

"Display Functions" will show the current function in the upper right corner. does this seem to be changing when you are scanning for APs?

"Dispaly COM errors" would give a popup if there are any comm errors. Do you get any popups (also try restarting vistumbler while testing this)

Open a command prompt (right click and run as administrator) and run "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid". does it show wireless networks?
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

ACalcutt wrote:.) See if a switch to the stable release makes any difference ( Go to [Settings --> Vistumbler Settings]. Uncheck "Check For Beta Updates".) Restart vistumbler and update when it asks
Made no Difference
ACalcutt wrote:Display Functions" will show the current function in the upper right corner. does this seem to be changing when you are scanning for APs?
There is a message at top right that keeps flashing saying _TreeviewListviewResize() and ScanAcessPoints()

Default after install was USE Native WIFI, but no devices are detected. When I uncheck it and re-start, the program detects my devices. It makes no difference in either mode if I Run as Admin or not. When the program DOES detect devices, and I tell it to scan, it scans but does not report / display anything with No Graph, Graph1 or 2.
ACalcutt wrote:"Display COM errors" would give a popup if there are any comm errors. Do you get any popups (also try restarting vistumbler while testing this)
No Com errors or Pop Ups
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

Could you post the results of the command

Code: Select all

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid
Maybe windows or a driver or an SSID is mucking up the output and vistumbler cant parse it correctly?
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

pferland wrote:Could you post the results of the command
You might be dealing with a DUMBASS. Return = "No wireless interface on this system." Come to think of it, this desktop is hardwired to router. There are about 12 OTHER devices on the router's wireless. Should I be trying to run this from my wireless laptop?

What I was hoping to accomplish somehow is to speed up / tune up my wireless connection to my movie streaming devices.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I made a small script to test getting wireless information that vistumbler uses. Can you try running this and post/private message the "log.txt" file that gets created in the same directory

Run "WifiTest.exe". it should give a popup with a bunch of wireless information and it will write all that to log.txt. The output should look like this
output_example.png
output_example.png (52.11 KiB) Viewed 27676 times
Attachments
WifiTest.zip
(605.54 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

tperk100 wrote:
You might be dealing with a DUMBASS. Return = "No wireless interface on this system." Come to think of it, this desktop is hardwired to router. There are about 12 OTHER devices on the router's wireless. Should I be trying to run this from my wireless laptop?

What I was hoping to accomplish somehow is to speed up / tune up my wireless connection to my movie streaming devices.
You would need to run this on a machine with a wireless adapter. if you don't have a wireless adapter you would get no results. as long as your desktop has a wireless adapter it would work. this program lists access points visible to your wireless adapter.

EDIT: not having a wireless adapter may make sense as to why you are seeing no adapters in native wifi mode. native wifi mode only lists wireless network adapters...where the other (netsh) mode lists all network adapters (even wired adapters you cant use)
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

i plugged a wireless adapter into my desktop and now all is rosy. Too bad I don't know how to use the info to tweak my WIFI performance.

DUMB ASS
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

The only real thing you can do to improve your performance with vistumbler is to try and place your router on a channel that doesn't overlap with other routers (if it is even possible...there's a lot of access points out there)

When you scan you will get a list of channels the routers around you are using. You would want to try and pick a channel that other access are not using. you also want to keep in mind channels overlap ( http://www.metageek.net/support/why-cha ... -6-and-11/ ) and you want to try to pick something that doesn't overlap a crowded frequency. In vistumbler there is a tool to help with channel overlap in (Extra --> [2.4Ghz/5Ghz] Channel Graph)
tperk100

Post by tperk100 »

I guess I am in pretty good shape. Here is a screen print. My network is AccuSpec.
Attachments
2.4 Graph.jpg
2.4 Graph.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 27662 times
WU2J

No adapters found

Post by WU2J »

Hi
Everything works on 1 computer with the Alfa card system except the sensitivity. So, I download another
Adapter that is relatively new on another computer. No Adapters found for this manufacturer. Here is the information on this adapter. Mediatek RT2870 Wireless LAN Card. MAC: address: 7C-DD-90-AC-17-66
SDK 1.1.18.19 2015-03-14
DRIVER 5.1.21.0 2015-02-12
UTILITY 5.09.19 2015-05-06
I also clicked UPDATE manufacturers under EXTRA but that didn't do it.
Byron WU2J :roll:
WU2J

No adapters found

Post by WU2J »

Found out how to get everything working great! Byron