How to turn on GPS

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
frankstarr

How to turn on GPS

Post by frankstarr »

I don't see an obvious way to turn on GPS tracking. When I click the "Use GPS" tab, I get an error "Error opening GPS port". any suggestions? I'm using v9.8

Thank you
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: How to turn on GPS

Post by ACalcutt »

Have you made sure to set the COM port and BUAD in (Setting --> GPS Settings)?

Have you tried a different GPS Interface? Default is Kernel32 because it works in x32 and x64 versions of windows. I found out recently that kernel32 does not work with ports above 10. I would try CommMG and see if that one works for you. (Setting --> GPS Settings)

What kind of GPS are you using?
ulical

Problema con el vistumbler.Please,help me

Post by ulical »

Good afternoon, my computer is a laptop with Window 7 32, I have installed Vistumbler and moreover I have a garmin gps, but when I find the points of access to the gps and the vistumbler fail, not is whether it will be a configuration problem, I'm using vistumbler v 10 beta, if anyone of you knows how to run the gps in vistumbler please help me, thanks.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

You need to set up your garmin so it puts out NMEA data.

Some garmins require software to make nmea data, some may not support NMEA data at all.
ulical

I am still trying, trying, and I can't set up my gps with th

Post by ulical »

Goodnight Mr A.Calcutt, writes the Venezuelan Ulises Mr it that he wrote for some days because of a problem that I have with gps gpsmap76csx and vistumbler v10 beta 1.Usted I recommended in its reply that configured gps and that it be placed in NMEA data, so I did as you recommended I but still fail to identify points of access with the gps.Yo I guess if this gps working well with the vistumbler should appear the coordinates in the vistumbler, in my case yet still appear coordinates longitud N 00 00 00 latitud E 00 00 00 , do you think you happening? What if you were in my place that would make it to the gps work jointly with the vistumbler? On the page where lower program free tell me about the netcommocx, I down it and put it on my desktop as shortcut, what should I do with this netcommocx.? That alternative would I recommend you, there will be a tutorial for the vistumbler where explain step by step, please assist me and answer my doubts and sorry for my ignorance and nuisances
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

when you hit "use gps" does it stay connected and say "stop gps", or after 10 seconds does it disconnect?
ulical

Problems with vistumbler v10 beta

Post by ulical »

Goodnight Mr A.Calcutt, writes Ulises Venezuela, connect gps to my laptop to use the vistumbler and locate access points, I select the interface, I give click to scan aps and appear in the vistumbler different assets, access points then I do click on use gps and appears below the current time the phrase cycle: Second since 4/30, gprmc, gpgga 4/30 update gps but intermittently, then appears another frase:Gps error buffer for emply more of 10 second gps was probably desconed has been stopped, and that is what happens once I do click on use gps.

When I do click on open appears networklink kml google earth and I am looking for my city and with gps only placed my position (my house), but other access points which are active are missing, thanks for answering.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

ulical,

I wish i could help more but i am not familiar with garmin devices. From what you said it does sound like it is disconnecting after 10 seconds. This happens when vistumbler doesn't get any data from your gps. Check your gps settings.

Another thing you could try is bring up the "Extra --> Gps Details" window. When you click "Use GPS" see if you can see any data coming in at the top of the window (I will post a screenshot of this when i have my gps). If you see data coming in then it may not be in the format i am expecting.
beads

Post by beads »

Garmin seems to use a baud rate of 9600 not the default 4800. I haven't tried working with the Garmin product yet but a quick Google search comes up numerous examples of other software needing a change of baud rate as well.

Borrowing a Garmin 20x over the next few days but need a better Southern view to connect any GPS, at the momement.

- beads