Error on Startup

ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Error on Startup

Post by ACalcutt »

-1 is a really vague generic error. The easiest way to get a better error code would be to install AutoIt and run VistumblerDIR/Vistumbler.au3 (you can get autoit here http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml) . This would give a real error code and actually tell me what line the error exists on.

But,
The first thing I would try is deleting your "VistumblerDIR/Settings/vistumbler_settings.ini" and then try reloading vistumbler.

Are you loading any language packs? What language is your version of vista?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

That error leads me to believe something is wrong with the vistumbler database file. could you attach a .mdb file from yout VistumblerDIR/temp folder (you may need to zip it to post it)

Basically what it is doing is getting the size of the AP table. for some reason it isn't getting any results which is making it crash. Even with no APs this should at least be 0, so i am thinking the table doesn't exists for some reason
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Hmmm...that file should be created when vistumbler starts. The mdb usually gets deleted on exit, but if vistumbler crashes it should still be in the directory.

Lets try this. If you put a good mdb file does vistumbler load? I'll attach a good file

It should ask you if you want to recover the MDB when you load vistumbler. recover it and see if vistumbler loads

The only thing I can this of here is something is either preventing vistumbler from making that file (like and antivirus or uac) or for some reason permissions are wrong (though vistumbler requires admin rights, so that shouldn't be it)

I have never run on Vista Ultimate x32, but it should be the same as the Enterprise and Buisness x32 editions I have used.
Attachments
2009-10-31 12-04-48.zip
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I'm getting a vista ultimate virtual machine set up so i can see if I can replicate your problem. I have moved to Windows 7 on all my computers
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

ok, tested vistumbler v9.8 in vista ultimate x32 and it worked fine. no error like you are getting.

Since your vistumbler isn't making the DB file itself, and doesn't seem to be able to read from the good mdb, I have a feeling something is wrong with your microsoft jet

I made this test vbs file to test this. basically what it does it makes a blank mdb file called test.mdb. Try downloading the attached file and run "createmdb.vbs". One you run it the test.mdb should be created in the same folder.

Hopefully if it fails vbscript will give us an error that we can use to figure this out
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

that would help wouldn't it... :lol:
Attachments
mdb.zip
(527 Bytes) Downloaded 375 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I would try re-registering your ADO dll

try running the following command from command prompt
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ado\msado15.dll"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

You shouldn't need to reboot after registering a dll (but its always worth a shot)

I did some googling to see if i could find any other solutions to the vbscript error but i didn't really find anything to fix it. Whatever is causing it is most likely the same reason why vistumbler is failing (since i create the vistumbler database the same way as in the vbs).

When i have some time later today I can do another look to see if i can find anything, but at this point it does seem like your windows install.

You can always use vistumbler 8.1 (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/vistum ... ler8.1.exe) since that version does not use a database. There have been many improvements since then that you would miss out on (like speed improvements, better auto-kml support, any feature thats been added since 8.1 (http://www.vistumbler.net/verhist.html))