Edit Equipment Vendor Information

rsimpson

Edit Equipment Vendor Information

Post by rsimpson »

I have been looking for this program since I was forced to use Vista. I install High Speed internet in hotels nationwide and checking signal level and doing site surveys is a must. Thank you for this program.

Like I have found with other programs when new equipment comes out the program cannot tell the manufacturer. Do you use MAC lookups or something other to determine manufacturer? What would it take to at least determine manufacturer by the first 3 octets of the Macs and let them be user definable for or shareable with a file kept here.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert Simpson
Sr Engineer..
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

Originally posted by rsimpson
I have been looking for this program since I was forced to use Vista. I install High Speed internet in hotels nationwide and checking signal level and doing site surveys is a must. Thank you for this program.

Like I have found with other programs when new equipment comes out the program cannot tell the manufacturer. Do you use MAC lookups or something other to determine manufacturer? What would it take to at least determine manufacturer by the first 3 octets of the Macs and let them be user definable for or shareable with a file kept here.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert Simpson
Sr Engineer..
I do match the first 3 octets to determine the manufacturer. If there is a new manufacturer it would need to be added to the list.

Right now there are two ways to add in manufactures. The first is right from the GUI by going to (Settings --> Set Manufactures by Mac). You can also edit the manufacturer ini manually (Vistumbler Directory\Settings\manufactures.ini).

I have been adding in mac address I have come across because adding in all manufactures creates a huge list and make vistumbler take longer to load.

Usually I look up the manufacturer using this website. http://curreedy.com/stu/nic/

You can also create labels for different Access points based on their Mac Address (Settings --> Set Labels by Mac).

btw...glad vistumbler helping you in your work :-). Vistumbler does not give the most accurate signal results, but at least its something. If accurate results are important to you, right now i made this ( http://forum.techidiots.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16 ). It should help some with accuracy.
rsimpson

Customization

Post by rsimpson »

I now feel bad for requesting this feature when I just found exactly what I needed just now. I am onsite and just had a few minutes to delve in better. I will check out the link you provided and again thanks for what looks like a very nicely done Stumbler clone with nice additions.

Thanks again.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

No Problem :-).

I am also building the "Refresh Networks" script into the next version of vistumbler. It should be a little better done and easier to use.
gAlAX-e
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gAlAX-e »

Thanks for this cool link :)

Are you interessted in an updated manufactures.ini ?

I am adding some new manufacturers, that seem to be very popular in my region, so maybe you want to include it into the next Version.
gAlAX-e

[ Running Vistumbler v10.4b3 on Vista (32bit) with a Atheros AR5007EG ]
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Sounds good...looking forward to your updated ini

-Andrew
gAlAX-e
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gAlAX-e »

Ok, since the install of v7.3 killed my modified ini, i have to type it in again.

Will post the ini as soon as i am done, along with an updated translation and another bugreport :D

cheers and have a nice week.
gAlAX-e

gAlAX-e
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gAlAX-e »

Ok here is the promised, updated ini.

I added only about 5-8 new entries, so it is still only 3 kb :)
gAlAX-e

ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

cool. This will be included in the next release
Thanks
vpe

Re: Edit Equipment Vendor Information

Post by vpe »

Pls implement in next build this list of ALL manufacturers, thanx

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I had looked into putting the full list in before and decided against it. I forget exactly what my reason was but that list does not seem to have all manufactures like I expected (for example, find linksys in that list). I also seem to remember it slowing down loading time. I ended up choosing to add manufactures in as I came across new ones.

If you want to try this on your own you can modify manufacturers.ini (VistumblerDIR\Settings\manufacturers.ini)
vpe

Post by vpe »

Soory, i give you bad link, better is oui.txt (Contain ALL incl. LINKSYS)

look and get idea from:

http://www.securityfriday.com/products/promiscan.html

Obtain the latest version of oui.txt from IEEE.
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

Copying oui.txt
Copy oui.txt to the folder where PromiScan is installed.

ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

This has been added in Vistumbler v9.1 Beta 1 (only available through update). I had to change the way I was storing all that data from a ini to a mdb database. With the way i was loading this information from ini it made vistumbler take 10 minutes (at least) to import all the manufacturers. the new mdb method just needs to connect to the db and doesn't need to load the information into the program.