AP name

ghostlinker

AP name

Post by ghostlinker »

Hi,
I would be very useful to see the AP name. I have tested many wifi sniffing tools, and only Etherscope by Fluke is able to give me the AP name.
I have Cisco 1142 APs ad running multiple units with the same SSID. Instead of using the MAc and reverse engineer the AP name, I would like to get the AP name from your soft. If they can do it with Etherscope, my guess it should be pretty simple to get the AP name ;)
Can you help ?

Linker
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: AP name

Post by ACalcutt »

Vistumbler has built in labeling that lets you input all you mac addresses / ap names (Settings -> Set Labels by Mac). For bulk imports I usually edit (Vistumbler\Settings\Labels.mdb) directly.

Are you talking about pulling the access point name (not SSID) directly from the access point? I'm not sure if I would be able to do something like that with my current netsh/native wifi api set, but I can take a look to see if its possible.
ghostlinker

Post by ghostlinker »

Thanks Andrew for the quick reply.

I was looking for the AP name directly from the access point. When I launch a capture, the info is part of the beacon frame.
(SSID="CNV" , Name="mtlhq11a-ap9")
I would like to see a column with the Name value, next to the MAC address.

Hope this is not to difficult to do ;)

regards,

Linker
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Right now vistumbler is not working on the packet level.

There is an autoit winpcap udf, but I think to use it for wifi data the card would have to be able to go into promiscuous mode. Without promiscuous mode I think I can only get packets of the access point I am connected to. It doesn't look like my laptops 4965 AGN card is able to go into promiscuous mode in windows, so I didn't get that far in testing it out.