Bigger Font Sizes for Old Guys

arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Gentlemen:

I'm an old geezer, and my mobile computer setup has a teensy 800x600 8" touchscreen with not the greatest contrast or brightness. However, bigger screens are more visible to others (like the PD) and get in the way more.

I run the minimal GUI Mode (experimental; when's it gonna go production %^)? and so all I really ever need to see is the Scan APs and Start GPS buttons, and the data shown on the minimal GUI panel.

I have the following feature requests:
1) Ability to set (perhaps on the Misc. Settings panel) the font size on the Minimal GUI screen.
2) Ability to have the Start GPS and Scan APs buttons change color when they are active, or not. Maybe red and green, or something. The reason I ask for this is there has been more than one time that I forgot to click, or perhaps quick-double-clicked, and made a longish run without getting GPS data. Another reason, though occurring much less often, is that sometimes the PC has lost comms with the GPS and the noise the PC makes when it does that is quite soft, and so hard to hear.
3) This might be more like a 2a), as I'd appreciate a way for Vistumbler to warn me that the GPS coordinates its reading are 000/000. Again, this might be a feature of 2) above, but then again maybe not.
4) Vistumbler can already speak signal levels and such, which is pretty cool. Can an option for it to speak the number of NEW APs in a loop be created? Not the number of APs currently being heard, only the new number collected during a loop. This way, when I am walking around with my cheesy backback notebook computer setup, I can listen to it state strings of numbers. I'm sure that would be fun for random listeners around me...
5) Manufacturers based upon the IEEE OUI. I know there's the MAC address lookup to specific AP (like "Jon's Office", or "Jon's Home", or whatever), but what about the ability to read from the downloadable IEEE OUI file and just show the manufacturer's name (like "Cisco", "Netgear", or "Hon-Hai", or whatever)? Would anyone else find that interesting?

I just noticed that on the Settings>GPS tab, the word "received" in the text field to the right of the checkbox for "Disconnect GPS when not data is recieved in over 10 seconds" is misspelled. And "received" is misspelled again in the text for the last checkbox as well. And while I'm at it, on the Settings>Labels tab, the text "New Mac Address" should really be "New MAC Address", since MAC is an acronym. IF you agree with that, the acronym "Mac" is also on the Columns tab.

That's all for now. I will go back under my rock...

Cheers - Jon N7UV
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Never mind on item 4), I just realized that Vistumbler already has that feature.

Cheers - Jon N7UV
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

I'm looking into the other stuff, but we also already have #5. There is a built in program to update that mac address database in (Extra --> Update Manufactures). I noticed this was broken recently...but i just fixed it in one of the last betas.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Hi Andrew-
You're right, Vistumbler already has IEEE MAC lookup, which is #5 on my list. I would certainly like to have #4!
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I've release 10.6.4 Beta 3, which adds features 1 and 2 and fixes the typo.

The button colors on the main window are red and green by default. I have also added the ability to change the color in the misc settings screen

GUI text size is also settable on the misc settings screen. You probably can't raise this very much before the gui starts to be weird looking and or cut off.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Love the new ability to change button colors and make the fonts bigger. This is so cool, Andrew. And you're right, 12 pt font fills the buttons and starts to look weird, but for my tiny TW700 setup it will be just fine!

Thanks again!

Cheers - Jon N7UV
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

It also helps out on my truck wardriving setup. That's an 8" screen, which is generally ok, but when driving it's nice to have very bold, bright colors for quick glances. I set those up so the buttons are FF0000 red and 00FF00 green. Very nice. Not as pretty as before, but more functional for this instance.

Thanks again!

Cheers - Jon N7UV