"Frequency" column.

marco

"Frequency" column.

Post by marco »

In addition to the "Radio Type" column, could a "Frequency" column be added?

Thank you for your considerations.

craig
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

"Frequency" column.

Post by arizonajon »

Hi Craig -

The "Channel" column is directly related to the frequency. For instance, channel 6 is 2437 MHz, channel 11 is the top of the 2.4 GHz band, and then channel 36 and up are all in the 5 GHz region. At least for me, the thing I look for most is whether the AP is in the 2.4 GHz band or in the 5.x GHz band.

Cheers - Jon N7UV
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

"Frequency" column.

Post by pferland »

While it is directly related, it would be nice to have a visual of what freq it is. Andrew did mention that he has thought about adding that column.
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
marco

"Frequency" column.

Post by marco »

Thanks Jon. Totally technically correct. Having such a column would be nice for the sake of sorting. Looking at only two possible matches (2.4 or 5) is easier than looking at channels. All though, spending a lot of time in VS would train a mind. :-)

Thanks.

craig
arkasha

Re: "Frequency" column.

Post by arkasha »

Additional: with 802.11ax (and specifically with the addition of the 6GHz space), there's channel number "aliasing" between both the 2.4GHz odd-numbered channels and the lower 6GHz channel numbers, as well as the 5GHz numbers 149, 153, 157, 161, 165 vs. their 6GHz counterparts.

I bring this up as I'm in the process of writing a VS1 file parser for WiGLE.net - if I'm missing an obvious solution for these issues in the format, just let me know!
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

At the moment I don't think vistumbler supports 802.11ax network types. I think it might be possible to update the NativeWifi UDF I use to support it, similar to this update where I added support for 802.11ac https://github.com/acalcutt/Vistumbler/ ... 1b01ba38fb

The channels are similar, they would be updated similar to
https://github.com/acalcutt/Vistumbler/ ... f5847e6c41

I can look ad adding this support. From https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... 1_phy_type it looks like 'dot11_phy_type_he' is needed for 802.11ax
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I made a few updates in v10.8.2 which allows vistumbler add support for 802.11ad/ax/be networks and add support for wpa3/owe authentication.

For the original question on this thread about auditing frequency, it may be possible to add it, but I think more changes would have to be made to the NativeWifi udf.