sample rate for use with antenna positioning and design

TomAstro

sample rate for use with antenna positioning and design

Post by TomAstro »

Hello,

In the setup you can change the Refresh Loop of default of 1000ms(1sec) but it still samples at 1 second.
Example: 250ms = .25 second so when changed in the setup it samples three .25 samples including the forth .25 which jumps the movement in the graph at 1 second. In short, 1,2,3 jump,1,2,3 jump etc. etc.
Is it possible to smooth out the sampling when selecting a lower rate in the settings?

Why I ask is not only do I use the graph for positioning an antenna, I also do antenna design form standard dipoles to high gain antennas. A smoother and fast sample rate makes things a bit easier when working with an antenna. I do have a HP 8569 spectrum analyzer, but that thing is a quite heavy and way too expensive to be carting out side to do any range and gain testing. My SDR receiver that I use with the laptop cuts off at roughly 1.5 GHz, great for other things, but not for WiFi.
I know that this program is not meant to be for the purpose I am using it for, but it is helpful for knowing what I am looking at besides a standard 2.4GHz signal source.

Cheers
Tom
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: sample rate for use with antenna positioning and design

Post by ACalcutt »

Have you tried to change the time for "Auto Refresh Networks" (Settings --> Vistumbler Settings ) to something like .25 . This should make Vistumbler try to refresh the networks every 250 milliseconds as long as your Refresh loop time is also 250ms.
TomAstro

Re: sample rate for use with antenna positioning and design

Post by TomAstro »

Thanks again for your reply Andrew,

That seemed to work. The first time i tried it I must have forgot to do both settings. That sample rate seems to work a bit better while I am adjusting the antenna for gain. It's not the spectrum analyzer but it is much better then dragging the HP analyzer out to a field to do testing. Using Vistumbler gets me in the ball park and then I use the spectrum analyzer for fine tuning the antenna via a signal source or via the sun's noise for measurements. I don't have a Network Analyzer on hand so I have to go by these methods for adjustments.

Thanks again,
Tom