Speak signal percent?

lllbob

Speak signal percent?

Post by lllbob »

Hello vistumbler...

I was wandering if you could add the text to speech engine so when you click on a found access point, it would speak the signal of the selected ap.
of course if your signal is sixty seven percent, the speech engine will probably say: six seven percent. which would be fine I suppose.
and have it auto repeat upon a signal change. and of course have a on/off button.

* Reason for that being, I can't see my desktop screen while adjusting my external antenna, making it more difficult for me to fine tune.

So, would that be possible to add to vistumbler? anyone else here ever need that feature?
Thanks in advance.....

If not I'll have to try to throw something together in visual basic 6...lol
Here is a vb6 project file that has the wav files if you wouldn't want to use the speech engine.
http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb/sc ... 1&lngWId=1
I used that code myself for a dvb-s satellite tuner software, so it speaks the percent to me while adjusting my dishes. :-)
Haven't seen any vb examples that work for wifi...guess vb is just to darn old...lol
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Speak signal percent?

Post by ACalcutt »

I'll look into it...it doesn't look like it will be hard

-Andrew
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

lllbob

Post by lllbob »

man... that was fast..sweet...thanks! Works good here... :-)

I see that the vista speech engine speaks numbers correctly...

* Is there a way to adjust the scan ap refresh interval in the options?
The signal doesn't update fast enough when adjusting the ol antenna..
It does update, just not fast enough... seems like 30 -45 seconds or more..
My pc is 2.8GHZ, so it should handle faster netsh commands...

BUT hey, that's ok though.. don't let me worry you..lol. :-)
It's still great , now I don't have to keep running back and forth looking at the pc screen..lol.

Excellent job.... :-) nice looking site too by the way...
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Did you try using the network refresher (Extra --> Start Refreshing networks)? Also, make sure your disconnected from any access points or its usually not very accurate.

You can change the refresh rate somewhat (Settings --> Vistumbler Settings --> Refresh loop time). Default is 1000ms (1second). If you want it to scan faster you can set that value to 0 and it will run the run as fast at it can (about 200-300ms for me)

Every loop my program rescans netsh, so by default it tries to refresh every second. The more things the program is doing the longer the loop will take.for example. before turning on speak signal i get ~250ms, after i turn it on it takes 1300-2500ms (mainly because it has to wait for each sound to play)
I see that the vista speech engine speaks numbers correctly...
Lets just say the Vistumbler speech engine works correctly and vista had nothing to do with it...lol. I spoke with the author of the speech program you sent me to and he gave me permission to use his number sounds. I made some code to take the signal and play the proper sound files :-)

I plan to polish this feature up some more,this what basically a trial run :-).
lllbob

Post by lllbob »

Hello again... :-)

Yup tried that, but it still doesn't update real fast.. maybe its just my usb adapter.
It only made the speech say the percent faster... but not updating the signal faster.

Yeah I see the ms go up when the sound is turned on.

Nawp, I'm not connected to any wireless access points....

But Thanks again..It's still good... There's no other software that speaks the wifi signal. Yours is now the only one!.. hee hee :-)
Folks with external antennas or a usb adapter on a long usb cord will find that very usefull. well, desktop people anyway.

Omg..lol I didn't even notice the sound folder you added... LOL... guy-leeee...durrrrr...
I should have known that vista speech didn't speak two numbers together right either...ha ha
Yup, the number sounds work great eh...
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Actually I ended up looking into using the windows api last night...the speaking can be done pretty easily (like 3 lines of code) with COM. It sounds better but takes a little longer to play the sound. I'll probrably add it in as an option
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

Can this be done ?

I can enter the Speak signal percent by dubble clicking on the APs line. ( No Problem )
But to get back out i have to ( Stop, Edit, Clear all ) then backto search.
How about 2x to get in and 1x to get out. ?
Or am i missing something here. ?

Freebe.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Usually i just turn off Speak signal to stop it right now. Like you said, right now once you select an access point it stays selected.

I will look into a way to deselect it easily

-Andrew
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Ok, I implemented this in 9.0 Beta 5.3 (only available through vistumbler update right now)

Once you turn on Speak Signal (Options --> Speak Signal)
Clicking any AP (once) in the listview selects it. Speak Signal will now start saying the selected AP signal strenth
Double Clicking any AP in the listview deselects it. Speak Signal will not say anything..since nothing is selected
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

Now that is what i call Service. :D

Great. :thumbup: