Invisible WiFi APs

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Invisible WiFi APs

Post by ACalcutt »

Those sound like hidden SSIDs. I know windows 7 doesn't show them (you need to know the SSID to use them). I'm not sure is netsh still reports those APs in Windows 7...i will have to look

I know with windows vista it used to display those APs, and netsh would report one AP with no name and one with the SSID hidden.
beads

Post by beads »

Your running into APs that don't always use the same channels (1-14). I don't have the complete information right in front of me but 802.11 is licensed a bit differently around the world. There are five (5) regions:

Region A: The Americas (1-11)
Region B: Western Europe (1-13) France (10-13)
Region C: Eastern Europe
Region D: Africa
Region E: Asia and Australia (?) Japan 1-14

Now as far as channels go France and Japan use channels no one else does, though my reference materials are at work while I labor at home. Its not surprising your having some difficulty finding one over another. I suspect your not scanning or able to scan some of these channels and/or frequencies. You may need to pick up an external card to see all frequencies and channels as your hardware is probably more Region A specific and doesn't always comply with local transmission customs, so to say. Try whatever goes for Radio Shack there in France and ask the local tech expert what the frequency and channels are locally available. Since of course I am sure that they have local tech "experts" in France as well. :smilegrin:

The other possibility is that the local McDonald's is simply slow with no longer charging for Wi-Fi service and simply never unmasked the SSID or ESSID until you pay for access. Either way it should be fairly easy to find. But my money is on the "non-standard" channels or frequencies. This would be more hardware than anything to do with 'stumbler.

- beads

Edited channel specific countries.
pondshus2

Post by pondshus2 »

Actually, there are a number of invisible wi-fi apps that are good as well as harmful. It is actually good to know which all these apps are. You might also want to install the malware bytes on your PC so that you won't get harmed.

Ola Al hossary
Principal
porcelain tiles oman
L8rm88

Post by L8rm88 »

Just allowed
vistumbler access to hard drive as requested, and got malware: W32.Rogue.Gen My Webroot took care of it. What's up Vistumbler?
L8rm88
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

It seems to be a false detection for Autoit UPX compression ( https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59829.0 ). Unfortunately av companies falsely flag autoit all them time.

With Vistumbler you can always look at the code (Vistumbler.au3 at https://github.com/RIEI/Vistumbler/tree ... tumblerMDB ) and compile your own copy of vistumbler.