A old Garmin GPS III plus

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
Raymond Day

A old Garmin GPS III plus

Post by Raymond Day »

I have it hooked up to com1 and did lots of settings and Vistumbler never sees it. In my Garmin GPS III Plus I can set it a lot of RS232's.

Has any one got there GPS III plus to work with Vistumbler? If so what are the setings on both ends?

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Re: A old Garmin GPS III plus

Post by Raymond Day »

Long time ago. I used Network Stumbler not the Vistumbler. It worked with this same GPS. Could pick Protocol Gamin Binary. But it don't work with my wireless card and Vistumbler does work with my Intel WiFi Link 5300 card. The is no Gamin at all to pick in Vistumbler Settings. Just Com Interface.

It be nice to have the GPS working with this. I have a new Gamin GPS that has USB but I don't think it sends it's data out were it is though the USB and seems like program only let you pick com ports. Not USB port for GPS units.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

In Setup, Interface I can pick this:

GARMIN
GRMN DGPS
NMEA
None
RTCM/NMEA
RTCM/TEXT
Text Out

That's it. I mostly had it on GARMIN. It works like that with a lot of things.

What one would work with Vistumbler?

-Raymond Day
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

Vistumbler uses the NMEA standard to read the GPS data, try setting your GPS to that and see if that works.

-Phil
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

I did set it to NMEA and can't change the boud rate on it. It's set to 4800. I will have to see if it works with it.

I will see if it work tomorrow. Thanks for telling me.

-Raymond Day
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

What Com port is you GPS on? If your Com port is above port 10 Kernel32 GPS mode will not work (try CommMG)
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

Looks like the NMEA did work.

I had to use a USB to RS-232 adator then it worked. I guess the ribbin cables I have are not wired right. Or the com port on the mother board are bad.

I can't get a good GPS signel thought my window in the house. But it looks like Vistumbler was talking with it.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

I had to take it out side and I set it all up in my car and the GPS worked!

I drove around some and saved the .VS1 file.

I think there is a way to see it all in Google Earth right? If so what type of file do I save it as so I can open it in Google Earth?

It was working very good this time.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

I see can save it out as a .KML file that can open in Google Earth. It's saving it like that now. Taking a wile.

-Raymond Day
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

Good to hear you got it working!
Just curious what are you running for hardware?
KML file exports usually take a little bit.

Auto KML tends to really bogg down older hardware, even my Turion X64 at 2Ghz has a hard time with AutoKML lol

-Phil
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

I think I get put this Intel WiFi Link 5300 in my netbook. I order a ant. for it because this card takes 3. So I just used a 400 watt power inverter with a LCD screen on the floor of my car. A D510MO Mini-ITX motherboard that has a 2 core Atom+GPU on a Atom chip. It has a slot for the WiFi Link 5300 card. With no case I put it in my car on the seat. This Atom runs at 166 GHz. No fan just a big heat sink. I sure for the GPU part that gets a little hot not the CPU part. Had a SATA hard drive just sitting on the seat with a desktop power supply. So the LCD monitor and PC power supply run off 12 volts that the interver was doing 120 volts.

It worked good. There are some parts when I put it in Google Earth were the GPS data went one point like 1/2 mile away then back. Some error with the GPS data I guess.

I ran Window 7 32 bit. Even though can run 64 bit on this Atom CPU. I did not use the center Ant. part on the WiFi card. I don't have a pigtal like wire for it yet. The 2 ant. I had I put on the roof of the car. They have magnic bottoms on them.

WiFi is all around here. If all had it open could just drive and get WiFi all over the place.

It's neat to see all this Data in Google Earth.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

You asked what I used and they say a 1000 words are worth a photo. So must be even more with a little video.

I just put this video on you tube how I had it set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCmOdL9ouc

I said how I had to put the USB to RS-232 in another USB port else the mouse arrow would move all over. I guess something with the driver. It's not to good of a USB to RS-232.

So I don't have to do this I am going to try and put that Intel WiFi Link 5300 card in my netbook that has a 160 GHz Atom one core in it. I think it should work good with Vistumbler. I found a web page that shows how to do it.

-Raymond Day
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Lol. Thats a crazy setup man :-)
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

Dude, thats insane. Was watching the video and at the end realized that you where explaining it while driving down the road. :lol:
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
Raymond Day

Post by Raymond Day »

I set it up like that because this "Intel WiFi Link 5300 can get 802.11 a/b/g/n all at the same time. Wi-MAX too but not wile getting 802.11 a/b/g/n.

But I will work on putting this card in my netbook that's the link I did to show how. I am waiting for a antenna I got from ebay.

I was driving very slow when I did that video. I could just point the camera and did not have to see were I was pointing it. So easy to keep my eyes on the road.

-Raymond Day