How to get GPS to work on Vistumbler on Win10 x64 ? Help?

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
tgtarot

How to get GPS to work on Vistumbler on Win10 x64 ? Help?

Post by tgtarot »

Have Vistumbler installed and working more or less fine on Win10 x64. HOWEVER. Cannot get GPS feature to work on Vistumbler. I keep getting error message :( . Is there a fix somewhere? :D
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: How to get GPS to work on Vistumbler on Win10 x64 ? Help?

Post by ACalcutt »

What error message are you getting. did you make sure to go to settings and set your gps com port information?

Edit: Also which version of vistumbler. there were some fixes when using a com port 10 or greater when using kernel32 mode (the default) in the latest release
tgtarot

Post by tgtarot »

I installed the current version available on the site. Version v10.7. Maybe I misunderstood the directions. Do I need to install an additional device like a USB GPS Dongle like: VK172 GMOUSE USB GPS Receiver Glonass Support Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP https://ebay.us/70UEmy OR G72 G-Mouse USB GPS Dongle Glonass Beidou GNSS Receiver Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMRXSC8/re ... Z03VGCEFPP?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Vistumbler needs a gps that shows as a com port and sends NMEA data. This could be a usb dongle gps, a internal gps with an app to show it as a com port, or a bluetooth device that shows as a com port.

I notice your choices are glonalls, is that what you are trying to use it with?
My main gps is this one, but I don't think it supports glonass
I also have this one which is similar to the second one you posted, that does support glonass.

Does your device have a built in gps? For the internal GPS, vistumbler doesn't support those without something that will show it as a com port. When I had a tablet with an internal GPS I used a program for this called Centrafuse Localizer, but they seem to have gone out of business. This program sounds close (https://www.gpssensordrivers.com/ (GpsReverse)), but I not longer have any hardware to test if it would work for you. ublox may also have a virtual comm port driver (if you can find it, I think I had trouble before)

If you have a phone with gps and bluetooth there are also some apps that allow you to use that as a gps.
tgtarot

Post by tgtarot »

At this point, I am looking at ANY device that will work with Vistumbler. How about Global Sat BU353 USB GPS Receiver, G. Mouse for Car / Laptop Magnetic  NEW? https://ebay.us/tTDxvk

Is there a list of recommended GPS devices that work with Vitumbler?

IMHO, Directions and Setup & Installation instructions are unclear, incomplete, & cryptic. I had to research 4 other websites to figure out that I actually needed a separate GPS device.
tgtarot

Post by tgtarot »

If you have a phone with gps and bluetooth there are also some apps that allow you to use that as a gps.
1.) I have paired up my Cell phone with my PC via Bluetooth on Com3 & Com4.
2.) Please advise EXACTLY how do I connect my Andriod to work as a GPS device with Vistumbler. BlueTooth? USB?
3.) Please advise EXACTLY which Android Apps will send GPS data from my Andriod to Vistumbler on my PC?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

The Android App I used to use for this is called "Bluetooth GPS Output" ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US ). This app allows your phone to send you gps as NMEA data over the bluetooth com port, which is what vistumbler needs.

I personally find a usb gps best (less apps involved). it is really what vistumbler was originally written for. As for what works I can only say what I have tried personally and what others have recommended in this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=29&t=206 ). Pretty much any gps that shows as a com port and send nmea data will work. However if you get one that doesn't work, reach our on the forums and I'll see what i can do.

For documentation, keep in mind this is a hobby writted by me in my spare time. Vistumbler has grown a lot by user request, but documentation has always been through questions on this forum. If you have a question just ask and we will try and work it out.

EDIT: also, what gps device you want depends on your country. For example, if you are in the US you wouldn't want a only glonass receiver.
tgtarot

Post by tgtarot »

Thank you for your information.
The Android App I used to use for this is called "Bluetooth GPS Output" ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US ). This app allows your phone to send you gps as NMEA data over the Bluetooth com port, which is what Vistumbler needs.
Believe it or not, I actually found "Bluetooth GPS Output" on my own BEFORE you posted your message to the forum. I installed it on my Samsung S-10 and connected/paired it to my PC via a USB Bluetooth adapter I had lying around. I found and installed an older Windows version of Google Earth on my PC and everything connected fine.

The MS Pharos GPS 360 & 500 have been around a long time and I coulda, shoulda, woulda picked up a used one on eBay had I known that they are compatible with Vistumbler.

I'll be using the Cell-Phone rig as a work-around until the USB GPS unit I ordered arrives.

I imported a *.kml file into Google Earth and I more or less got a graphic representation of the results of my AP scan from Vistumbler.

My next question is how to make the APs, Labels, and other Vistumbler information more visible and readable on Google Earth.

So for the time being, I now have Vistumbler more or less up and running and linking to Google Earth.

Thanks for your help.