vistumbler scan

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
chessymaster

vistumbler scan

Post by chessymaster »

hi,
iam new here. so i use vistumbler to scan my wlan / search ap's.
in the attachment u can see 5 aps. 3 of this have the same mac-address. and this mac is my wlan-router.
my wlan work on cancel 8...look at the screenshot i attached. 2 / 3 have a wpa2 authentification and 1 is open....

i dont understand this.
i have only created 1 ssid with the option "hidden ssid" and wpa2-authentification.

can me anyone explain, why vistumbler shows me 3 aps with the same macs, mac-address of my router?
whats the reason?

sorry that my english ist not well.
i gave my best.

nice day
chessymaster
Attachments
overview.tif
overview.tif (410.74 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: vistumbler scan

Post by ACalcutt »

I am not completely sure what causes this. This is just the information netsh is giving me. I have seen that before here (http://forum.techidiots.net/forum/viewt ... p?f=8&t=98)

It looks like when a SSID is hidden netsh returns 3 sets of results. When a new AP comes in it gets checked if the BSSID, SSID, Channel, Authetication, and Encrytion match any APs already in the list. Since all those access points differ in the information that is being checked, they are considered new APs.
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Chessymaster.. two points. Both minor.
First,Please post images as JPG or BMP as not everyone can see TIF on these boards.

Second. As you may have seen.. Hiding your SSID does NOT make your WLAN 'invisible'. Will cause curiousity to what you would be wanting to try to hide.Use random Numbers and Letters.
Example R45o8RtKy.
Do not use people names or Company name or street address. Makes very easy to find your WLAN loaction.
Having WPA2-Authentication is enough. to be safe.
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Please, no BMP...JPG or PNG

That tif was very strange, I was only able to view it by editing you post and downloading it from there. And even once i got it I looked very messed up
Attachments
overview.png
overview.png (18.02 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Talk about a low S/N ratio! Yeah Now I can see what ChessyMaster was saying.
This would also explain why I get 5-8 Ap's for the traffic control systems in the area. they have null ssid's and generate several AP's.. but oddly enough , only one antenna visible each.
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
chessymaster

Post by chessymaster »

i use random ssid with random numbers and letters.
but why get i 3 aps with same mac-address? and why it shows that 1 of this has an open authentification with a wep-encryption...although i use one ssid with wpa2???

dont understand this...my english is not very well.
sorry

can u help me?
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Chessymaster... This is simply a strangeness of Vista .. Is harmless..