Update fails

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
rsbrux

Update fails

Post by rsbrux »

I have been using the portable version of Vistumbler, 10.6.5.4. As far as I can tell, this is also the newest version.
However, when I start it, it offers me an update. The updater requests UAC permission, but after I grant it, the installation fails, and Windows Defender reports having blocked the installation of Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!rfn in Uninstaller.exe. Since I am using the portable version, I don't need an uninstaller, but I was hoping for an updated list of manufacturers. Vistumbler fails to recognize ASUS and DLINK, both of which are recognized by WiFiAnalyzer on my smartphone.
rsbrux

Re: Update fails

Post by rsbrux »

P.S. I found a newer version here:
https://github.com/acalcutt/Releases/bl ... 10-6-5.zip
but the only difference was in the English.ini file.
I ran UpdateManufactures.exe, which created a new Manufacturers.mdb. Now Vistumbler can identify all of my routers.
However, it still prompts me for an update on each start, even thouzgh the corresponding section was deleted from the new English.ini
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

It is most likely trying to update to the beta release, which is the default. you can turn this off in Settings --> Misc Settings --> Update . as to why the update is failing... you would want to run update.exe not UpdateManufactures.exe (maybe you don't have update.exe, i've seen some AVs delete it, which causes the updater to fail)
GalmOne

Post by GalmOne »

Thanks, I'll know for next time. My update had failed, too, and I had to uninstall, redownload and reinstall everything... I hope I won't have to do that again!