different adapters

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
garthpen

different adapters

Post by garthpen »

Just downloaded Vistumbler and tried it out. very nice.

I use 3 different wifi adapters but it seems to default to the one installed in my notebook. How can I configure Vistumbler for other wireless adapters?

Great replacement for netstumbler !!:yes:
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

Hmm, I'm not really sure. I have never used two adapters.

Maybe if you change your network card priority.

1.) Go to Network Connections (run(or start search box) --> ncpa.cpl)

2.) In Network Connections hit "Alt" to show the "Advanced" Menu. Go to Advanced --> Advanced Settings

3.) In the connections list move the wireless adapter you want to use above the other wireless adapters in the list.

I'm not sure this will do it, but its worth a shot. netsh probrably uses the first adapter it hits

-Andrew
Paul C

Re: different adapters

Post by Paul C »

I just downloaded and began using Vistumbler. I want to use it both with my laptop's built in wireless card, as well as a "cantenna" I have that uses a USB wireless adapter inserted into the can (which works well by the way).

At first Vistumbler only worked with the built in wireless card. Then I tried going into Device Manager and disabling the laptop's built in wireless. Success!
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

To clarify, it wasn't enough to just turn off my laptop's internal card with the switch. It was necessary to disable in Device Manager to get Vistumbler to work with the external USB wireless adapter.
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Update - Andrew, I did just that, moving the USB adapter up, so that it would be the primary adapter when plugged in, and then laptop would fall back to the built in adapter when the USB was unplugged, but that didn't work for me. It is easy enough to just disable it.