Network Type - Adhoc

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
verolen

Network Type - Adhoc

Post by verolen »

Hi all,

i had a scanning with my laptop and i found 2 networks with Network Type = Adhoc.

What does it mean? Are point to point network? Why has Vistumbler detected them?

Thanks,

Cheers
Alfredo
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Network Type - Adhoc

Post by ACalcutt »

It it just another type of wireless network. netsh displays ad-hoc networks, so vistumbler displays that data. Vistumbler is supposed to show ad-hoc networks.
DEFINITION - 1. An ad-hoc network is a local area network (LAN) that is built spontaneously as devices connect. Instead of relying on a base station to coordinate the flow of messages to each node in the network, the individual network nodes forward packets to and from each other. In Latin, ad hoc literally means "for this," meaning "for this special purpose" and also, by extension, improvised or impromptu.

2. In the Windows operating system, ad-hoc is a communication mode (setting) that allows computers to directly communicate with each other without a router.

See also: peer-to-peer
http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget ... 62,00.html
Some things you see ad-hoc are things like print servers. You may have an ad-hoc connection set up on you laptop (purposely or accidentally)