How to activate GPS on Vistumbler?

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
mingas

Post by mingas »

I using vstumbler first time and I see error opening GPS port. How can I activate GPS on vistumbler? Do I need some additional GPS adapter, or can I use HTC phone as GPS adapter? I have windows 7 on my laptop.
Thank you very much for the help.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

Is this HTC an android phone?

For android I have used "Bluetooth GPS Output" which seems to work. It used to be a paid software, but it looks like they offer a free version now.

The program I used to use was "BlueNMEA", but I don't think this works with newer versions of android. We had a tutorial for that here, viewtopic.php?f=34&t=520

Both of these use bluetooth to connect. Basically you pair your phone though bluetooth. then in the bluetooth settings you create a incoming com port. this com port is what you would use with vistumbler.
mingas

Post by mingas »

On my HTC I have Android 4.2.2 version.
I did everything step by step, but looks like BlueNMEA don't work in this case. Do you have any other options how to enable GPS on Vistumbler? Maybe there are similar apps to BlueNMEA, or maybe I can buy some cheap GPS receiver which would operate on windows 7 for vistrumbler?
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

You used to be able to buy the Microsoft GPS receiver separately from Streets and Trips, but I cant seem to find it anymore.

Really any GPS device that is USB and says it is compatible with windows should work, as long as it is makes a COM port. If it does not, I think Andrew had used some software that could create one I think, or maybe it was one that would replicate out the COM ports so more than one application could use it.
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

mingas wrote:On my HTC I have Android 4.2.2 version.
I did everything step by step, but looks like BlueNMEA don't work in this case. Do you have any other options how to enable GPS on Vistumbler? Maybe there are similar apps to BlueNMEA, or maybe I can buy some cheap GPS receiver which would operate on windows 7 for vistrumbler?
Did you try out the "Bluetooth GPS Output" app I mentioned. This should work with android 4.2.2.

Basically what you do with this is you

1.) start "Bluetooth GPS Output" on your phone
2.) pair your computer with your phone
3.) on the computer, go to your bluetooth settings and make sure you have a outgoing spp slave com port on your device
gps_opts.png
gps_opts.png (10.15 KiB) Viewed 14443 times
4.) in vistumbler, make sure the correct com port is set. I also recommend turning off disconnect after 10 seconds when you aren't using a real gps
vistumbler_settings.png
vistumbler_settings.png (16.49 KiB) Viewed 14443 times
5.) Don't forget to click the "Use GPS" button
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Some other gps devices I have used

1.) USB NMEA compatible gps (ex. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=206 )
2.) Windows Tablet w/gps - needs program like Centrafuse Localizer to use with vistumbler.
3.) GpsGate Splitter - allows multiple programs to use one gps. It should also allow you to use some gps devices that may not create a com port
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

I bought one of these a while back and, for $30, it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353- ... B000PKX2KA

Cheers - Jon