Cannot Uninstall 10.5.1 Beta 4 Version

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
dmerces

Cannot Uninstall 10.5.1 Beta 4 Version

Post by dmerces »

I’m not able to uninstall Vistumbler version 10.5.1 in any way. It is running in a Windows 7 x64 environment and the version of the uninstall program is 3.3.9.4.

I've tried the uninstall process through "Control Panel/Program and Features" and I've also executed uninstall program directly from Vitumble folder. There is no message and nothing happens. What I'm doing wrong?

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Cannot Uninstall 10.5.1 Beta 4 Version

Post by ACalcutt »

My first thought is maybe there is something wrong with your Uninstall.exe file. I would try downloading the latest 'Uninstall.exe' from our git repository and see if that works for you. The latest version can be found here https://github.com/RIEI/Vistumbler/tree ... /Uninstall

to manually remove Vistumbler you would need to do the following

1.) Delete the Vistumbler directory. That path should be showing in the registry at "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Vistumbler", "InstallLocation" (usually c:\Program Files (x86)\Vistumbler on a x64 system )

2.) Delete shortcut folders and shorcuts (some of these may not exist depending on the options you chose at install)
@ProgramsCommonDir & '\Vistumbler\' (ex. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Vistumbler\ )
@ProgramsDir & '\Vistumbler\' (ex. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Vistumbler\ )
@DesktopCommonDir & '\Vistumbler.lnk' (ex. C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Vistumbler.lnk )
@DesktopDir & '\Vistumbler.lnk' (ex. C:\Users\[username]\Desktop\Vistumbler.lnk )

3.)Delete File Associations Registry
Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\.vsz"
Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\.vs1"
Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Vistumbler"

4.) Delete Uninstall Information Registry
Delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Vistumbler"

5.) (Optional) Delete Vistumbler temp folder (my uninstaller does not do this)
Delete %temp%\Vistumbler

4.) (Optional) Deleted Vistumbler Saved file direcory (my uninstaller does not do this)... make sure not to delete any saved files you want to keep
Documents\Vistumbler
dmerces

Post by dmerces »

Andrew,thank you for your prompt reply.

Even using the fresh version of Uninstall I couldn’t remove Vistumbler. The uninstall.exe behavior was exactly the same. I will remove manually in few days. If you need any additional information in order to identify the problem feel free and let me know.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards.
dmerces

Post by dmerces »

Andrew, the problem with uninstall process is a virus Artemis detected by McAfee Security Center into vi_uninstall.exe. When McAfee detect the virus it puts the vi_uninstall.exe application in quarantine.

Regards.
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

Virus detections are almost always a false positive. You can read through the source for the uninstaller if you would like (Source). To get around this you can either temporarily disable the scanner or add a white list for the uninstaller. I have submitted a sample to McAfee, so hopefully they remove its detection from the false positives soon.
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
dmerces

Post by dmerces »

Andrew,

I’ve turned off McAfee Antivirus and the uninstall has worked as a charm. You were right, no virus at all.Thanks again for your kindness and patience.
My best regards. :mrgreen: