KML Help Please!!!! :)

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
Mystified

KML Help Please!!!! :)

Post by Mystified »

I am having a problem with using the netstumbler interface with google. I go to Extra, Open KML Network Link, Google earth loads There are file in Google earth window that are constantly refreshed in "Places" My Problem is that Im a Newb and I cannot figure out how to find my own network signal on google earth or others ,or use these files with the google interface.Additionally I cannot use Google interface with vistumbler like in the screenshot. More than likely it is just from lack of knowledge which I have searched the internet for but to no avail. Post Script- Wonderfull program!!!!!!!!! Runs very smooth just had to hit exceptions in AVG to install, but FYI after that was done and I let the program sit on the computer open overnight when i come back to it,it still pops up with resident sheild threat,from lack of motivation on my part I did not record the error message.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: KML Help Please!!!! :)

Post by ACalcutt »

To use autokml(like shown in the screenshot) you go to Extra --> Open KML NetworkLink. If you have not already turned on autokml it will ask you if you want to turn it on. Google earth should then open (if it isn't already) and map any access point that has gps coordinates.

When using vistumbler in autokml mode it makes it very difficult to see the list off access points in google earth because, like you said, the list refreshes at the set interval(which by default is every 1 second). You can temporarily turn off refreshing through google earth and when your done reload the network link (Extra --> Open KML NetworkLink) to start it refreshing again

If you are just looking for a map of all access points it is best to just export to kml (Export --> export to kml) instead of using autokml (since just exporting to kml does not cause the refreshing every second)
Mystified

Post by Mystified »

Thank You very much!!! I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out....
Mystified

Post by Mystified »

Oh Yeah FYI the "Threat" was in my Temporary folder.I Dont know if you needed to know that but I suppose thats what the update was about.... THANXS AGAIN
Mystified

Post by Mystified »

Ok, So I have Opened KML network link dialog pops up asks if I want to turn auto KML on, I replied no (where I am now)(I have tried both) Google earth opens and should map access points correct? Now than in Earth in "places" folder there is Temporary places folder than vistumbler 9.1 Beta 4 .When I expand this with plus sign there is Vistumbler GPS Position, Vistumbler active ap's, Vistumbler dead ap's, Vistumbler and GPS track. In google earth I have found my house (where I am trying to map) Zoomed in and see no icons of any sort. Are there icons? I am clicking on active ap's folder (thinking this might help) still nothing. Is this because I myself do not have a gps unit plugged somehow into my computer, or likewise any other "hotspot" I tried clicking on Use GPS icon on main vistumbler interface and get error message error opening GPS port which I believe simply means that one is not plugged in. Also what brings earth window and vistumbler window together? (simply dragging the two windows ontop of each other like looking at calculator and a spreadsheet at the same time?) I understand that google earth is not your program and understand if you cant elaborate to much on it, I am a student at ITT Technical Institute and am in Visual Comunications program, but would like to land a job in IT Support untill I graduate,since I have been around computers since the commadore 64. But unfortunatly havent been able to tinker to much because of work untill now. so just trying to teach myself as much as I can.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

When it asks if you want to start autokml you need to say yes, otherwise it cancels opening google earth(since the network link relies on autokml). If autokml is not turned on it will not map anything since autokml it is what creates the files google earth shows.

Also, are you sure the AP you are trying to look for has a gps position (something other that N 0.0000000 E 0.0000000). Autokml only maps access points with valid gps position, so if your house AP doesn't have a gps position it will not show up. You do not need the gps plugged in for it to map as long as you already have a valid gps position

To turn on GPS (Use GPS) your gps needs to be plugged in first, otherwise you will get an error opening gps

What brings google earth and vistumbler together is what google calls a network link. Inside the network link is basically links to other kml files and how often to update from them. When autokml is turned on vistumbler automatically creates kml files (one for Active APs, one for Dead APs, one for the track, one for current gps position) at the intervals set in the AutoKML settings. So because of the network link, google earth keeps checking those files for updates.

If you look in the vistumbler temp directory when autokml is turned on you will see 4 seperate data kml files(autokml_active.kml, autokml_dead.kml, autokml_gps.kml, autokml_track.kml) and one kml networklink (autokml_networklink.kml). autokml_networklink.kml is what pulls everything together and this is what loads into google earth

This is an example of the network link if you are interested

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
	<Document>
		<name>Vistumbler 9.1 Beta 4</name>
		<NetworkLink>
			<name>Vistumbler GPS Position</name>
			<flyToView>1</flyToView>
			<Url>
				<href>C:\Program Files\Vistumbler\temp\autokml_gps.kml</href>
				<refreshMode>onInterval</refreshMode>
				<refreshInterval>1</refreshInterval>
			</Url>
		</NetworkLink>
		<NetworkLink>
			<name>Vistumbler Active APs</name>
			<Url>
				<href>C:\Program Files\Vistumbler\temp\autokml_active.kml</href>
				<refreshInterval>1</refreshInterval>
			</Url>
		</NetworkLink>
		<NetworkLink>
			<name>Vistumbler Dead APs</name>
			<Url>
				<href>C:\Program Files\Vistumbler\temp\autokml_dead.kml</href>
				<refreshInterval>8</refreshInterval>
			</Url>
		</NetworkLink>
		<NetworkLink>
			<name>GPS Track</name>
			<Url>
				<href>C:\Program Files\Vistumbler\temp\autokml_track.kml</href>
				<refreshInterval>10</refreshInterval>
			</Url>
		</NetworkLink>
	</Document>
</kml>
Also, just to note, sometimes google earth will lose access to the data kml files. In google earth it shows a folder with a green or a red circle inside
netlink.JPG
netlink.JPG (16.63 KiB) Viewed 7070 times
If the circle turns red it means google earth is not refreshing and updating anymore. For you, since you don't have autokml turned on all these are probrably red (since the file does not exist), but if you have autokml on and that icon turns red you can fix it by right clicking the item that turned red and click refresh or you can reload the networklink though vistumbler.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I just wanted to let you know i have some information on AutoKML settings on the wiki

http://vistumbler.wiki.sourceforge.net/AutoKML