Kaspersky problems

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
kgee

Kaspersky problems

Post by kgee »

I am having problems getting Vistumbler to run with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.
I got the application installed and updated with Kaspersky turned off, it runs ok when it's turned off but as soon as I resume protection and launch Vistumbler I get an alert refering to "Trojan.Win32.Startpage.dif" after which it puts it into quarantine and reboots the machine.
I've spent hours with Kaspersky tech support trying to re configure so that it ignores Vistumbler but without success.
I see AVG has some issues but don't see any reference to Kaspersky.
Vistumbler was installed from a file 2.0.0.24 on 16th Feb 2009 then updated from the web and Kasperky is 8.0.0.506 with definition files of 16th Feb 2009
It's a real shame this since I like the application but can't really run it without Kaspersky.
Can anyone help ?
Thanks
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Kaspersky problems

Post by ACalcutt »

I will try to contact them to get this false positive removed. Thanks
kgee

Post by kgee »

I've also asked Kaspersky to investigate this and also come up with some further information as to what is happening.
If I install Vistumbler without accepting updates, it installs and runs with Kaspersky enabled.
As soon as I try to update, this is when I get the problem, where Kaspersky thinks there's a Trojan
Hope this helps isolate the issue.
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

I seem to have the same problem with Kaspersky (IS 2009).
The initial archive download works just fine. After the install, one is prompted for an update and it's here where things go a bit 'Pete Tong'!
Kaspersky doesn't seem to like the file referenced on the website, then takes a dislike to the new .exe and deletes it.

I've tried excluding the files, but when the new files replace the old, kaspersky removes the exclusions and we're back to square one again.

Pausing the scanner allows one to install the update, but when it's turned on again it detects the trojan and we're stuffed again.

Running the exe from the desktop shortcut (after kaspersky has done its work) gives an 'unable to run script 'autoit' prompt ??

Uninstalling the updated install and re-installing the original download seems to cure it, as long as you don't update.

Below is a pic of my kaspersky detection log - hope this helps.
(ignore the top lines - just goes to show that the big boys have these sort of problems too :-) )

(Great program, BTW).
Andy