Earthmate LT-40 GPS Problem

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
SanFranDiver

Post by SanFranDiver »

About 6-10 seconds after I click the "USE GPS" button I get an brief flashing error message that begins

ERROR - Buffer empty for more than.....

and none of the found networks ever get Lat Lon data.

I have the GPS correctly set for Com 1 9600bps which works flawlessly with my Delorme Streets Atlas 2009.

Help/suggestions

Thanx
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Earthmate LT-40 GPS Problem

Post by ACalcutt »

Hmm... For some reason when vistumber is trying to get the gps data off the gps it is not finding any. If it finds nothing for 10 seconds i use it as an indication that the gps in no longer attached and it turns the gps off.

Have you tried CommMG instead of Netcomm (in the gps settings). Does that work?

Also, I have never tried a 9600baud gps (all the ones i have use are 4800). So i am wonding if anyone else has used 9600 (it should work...but its untested)
irv

Post by irv »

Just making sure, but you've set up the serial emulation driver?

If not, head on over to http://www.delorme.com/support/supportt ... spx?id=319 and map the COM port.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

For the user who posted here before I had to revert the site to my last backup, did you ever make any more progress?

When using the gps with xport do you see data (like GPGGA text) at the bottom of the xport window?
AltF4

Post by AltF4 »

I was wondering what happened! My posts and account just sort of disappeared. I started to question whether I had posted here at all, or just dreamed it! :)

Anyway, I gave up. :( I wasn't able to get the GPS working, and if I waited any longer the return period would have run out. The LT-40 wouldn't even interface with Google Earth, much less Vistumbler. So I don't think it was your (Vistumbler's) fault.

So now I'm in the market for a new GPS! Fry's Electronics only had one other model, though. It was a Microsoft "Streets and Trips" software box that includes a USB GPS device with it. I read every inch of the box, (and the respective website, http://www.microsoft.com/STREETS/en-us/ ... 09GPS.aspx) but there's no information on what that GPS device actually is. When shopping for this sort of thing, I prefer to go to a brick-and-mortar store. Entirely so that inevitable returns are easier.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I use a microsoft GPS myself. I have both the old GPS-360 and the newer GPS-500 and they both work great. I'm not sure what they are selling now, but i'm sure it will work like the others did.

(btw...sorry about the inconvenience with your accounts and post. I was trying to resolve an issue streaming video from my esx server (which i finally fixed by upgrading to ESX4i) and I accidently corrupted my VM raid array. So, luckily I actually had a week old backup and didn't lose much)
WinstonP

Post by WinstonP »

I know that Netstumbler doesn't work with Vista but it DOES see the LT-40 when set up with the DeLorme Serial Emulator, so I'm thinking it's a Vistumbler problem not picking up the LT-40 data.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Unfortunately I have no way to try and figure this out without having a gps to test with. Anyone want to sell, donate, or let me borrow one? The lowest cost I have seen is $49, but I don't really need another gps.
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Well, Anfrew, I could always use another GPSr. lol.. By one and I wil give you a fair price when you are done LOL ;) Failing that , there is always Ebay :))
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Are you using a LT-40 now mystic? Are you able to get it to work with vistumbler?
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

NOw I am runnin on a Microsopft/Pharos 500. works a charm except for a good deal of position 'wandering' in a typical GPS 30ft circle of error. Mostly becasue it is velcroed to the lid of my lap-a-ma-top and THAT gets moved around a good deal inside the van.

IF I can the second phase of warscout to gel, I hope to have it mounted alongside the radio on the mast.
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
romeomoon

Post by romeomoon »

I am in the same boat. Street Atlas USA with the LT-40.

It works great with NetStumbler in XP, but I have beat my brains out trying to get it to work with Vistumbler and it still DOES NOT WORK.

So vistumbler is just for static operations and I have to carry a second laptop for wardriving.

It sure would be nice if someone got this to work and gave a detailed step by step process to get it to work with Vistumbler.

Also how does one get the Google Earth to come up as displayed on the home page? Thats another mystery.
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

Like Andrew said in a previous post, we need to acquire an LT-40 in order to get it working with Vistumbler.

To get google Earth to look like it does in the screen shot all you have to do is manually shape the windows to look like that, there was nothing special to it.

To have Earth open with the network link go to: Extra->Open KML NetworkLink
To have the Compass open go to: Extra->GPS Compass
To open the GPD details window go to: Extra->GPS Details

Then just re-arrange the windows as you see fit.
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Sorry, haven't found an LT-40 yet... Will keep an eye out

I have noticed that my current GPSr gives the same error as the OP, learned that it has to do ith the length of time it takes a given model GPS to 'warm up' or acquire at a cold start. My current unit has a 6 second coldstart. First start up always gives me that error, but if I repeatedly click the usde gps button, it does catch on 3rd or 4th try. I also think it is possible that the OP may not have been using the correct USB/COM number??
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

I need a new GPS, so I was just going to cave in and get one.
Hopefully Andrew can get it working quickly so I can wardrive
/me waves fist :twisted:
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Which GPS (s) do you currently have in your inventory?
I hope you also get to play with mysticache a bit. More and more alpha testing

Have you looked into Geocaching? Ties nicely into wardriving... Similar in a way. Cant get anymore geek than using multi billion dollar technology to find tupperware in the woods... or a one milliliter container in a brick wall.

LOL

Ummm who is the nufacturer of the LT-40?
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

I've just been commandeering Andrews GPS's until I can get a new one since my last one was stolen :-(

I have no idea who makes it, I just decided to get it when me and Andrew were talking last night about more people having it and it not working with Vistumbler.
We also joked about making a "Community Donations for Hardware Development Fund."
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Can always go beggarware with Vistumbler... No wait.. that would require registering as an actual business...
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

well, at least you didn't end up sending your childern door to door to sell candybars LOL no wait that wasnt LOL, that was :((
beads

Post by beads »

Okay, now.

Lets start off why Vistumbler doesn't work in Vista/Win7. The fine people at DeLorme no longer support the serial driver development. Complaining that its "too difficult" to write a virtual serial driver. Unlike Verizon, RIM, Google (Andriod), Samsung and every other smart phone manufacturer out their on the planet. Most of these various driver support was dropped back in May 2010 as the whole 'Street View' fiasco popped up in Germany and the US. Anyhow. They don't want to port over to the Vista/Win7 platform.

The DeLorme LT-40 works just fine with the serial driver on XP and basically XP only. Can't confirm or deny the PN series until I can make it 'clearly' out of the Chicago canyons I face right now. Will try over the long holiday weekend on the PN-40.

Optimally, I'd love to get this to work cleanly on a Win7 box without loosing teeth myself. Really, I've tried a variety of different software "shims" to no avail. But nothing works well or at all on the Win7 netbook.

- beads
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

I just ended up abandoning the LT-40, cant remember if it was because of no support for Vista/Win7 at all or that it was 32bit only, but I needed a 64bit compatable GPS, so I just got another Microsoft GPS.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

If you got it to work, that's great! Good way to put an old GPS to work.

Did you do any Vistumbler runs and upload them to the database?

Cheers - Jon N7UV
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

If you have to repeatedly click use gps to get it to work, you may want to uncheck the option (Settings --> GPS Settings --> Disconnect GPS when no data is recieved in over 10 seconds). Sometimes if your gps takes a while to get a fix this will disconnect you because it thinks your aren't receiving any gps data.
user20190513

Post by user20190513 »

irv wrote: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:41 am Just making sure, but you've set up the serial emulation driver?

If not, head on over to http://www.delorme.com/support/supportt ... spx?id=319 and map the COM port.
Does anyone have these drivers? Garmin removed everything delorme-related :evil: I could really use them right now
user20190513

Post by user20190513 »

I spent hours searching archive.org for an old copy of Delorme's website. I found them and wanted to share them if anyone is interested. Got it to work with my delorme earthmate usb puck and windows xp 32bit

justinolanin.com/downloads/DeLorme Serial Emulator1.1.exe

justinolanin.com/downloads/USBEMate2.exe

I had to install both to get it to work for some reasons. If anyone needs more stuff from Delome's website, its on archive.org. Garmin erased just about every other trace of Delmore on the net.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

glad to see you found it. I looked around a bit but I had no luck. It's kind of sad garmin removed all the delorme stuff... i had not idea they even bought them.