Does anyone know the update time of netsh?

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
Patrick

Does anyone know the update time of netsh?

Post by Patrick »

I've been looking around but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. Does anyone know how fast windows finds new networks? Would a 500ms period of time in between checks see more than a 1000ms time period?

I think I read that AP's broadcast their presence every second or so, it seems like some of these would be missed even when driving at 35mph if windows is changing channels all the time.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Does anyone know the update time of netsh?

Post by ACalcutt »

I wouldn't go lower that 1000ms. With my wireless card and the network refresher turned on I would say netsh updates about 2secs - 10secs. With the refresh off i would say it updates between 2sec - 30sec. I think the actual numbers may vary depending on the card you have.

Without GPS vistumbler can be set to around 250ms... but with GPS the program averages about a 1000ms run time (so putting it lower really won't help anyway)

Another tip is when the list gets big (say 1500 APs) it is better to turn off adding the APs to the top of the list (in the option menu). Adding APs to the bottom of the list is faster and the program won't get as high of a run time per loop.

-Andrew