Is my MAC filtering/wireless security working then?

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
easy2putt

Is my MAC filtering/wireless security working then?

Post by easy2putt »

First of all let me apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I have just downloaded Vistumbler (to see if it can detect my MAC address). I am under Vista Home Premium OS. I just set up my wireless network and secured it using these methods:

1. Changed the default router password

2. Changed the default SSID

3. Enabled to WPA Encryption

4. Disabled the SSID broadcast

5. Enabled the MAC address filtering

--

1. I ran the "cmd"/"ipconfig/all" and saw my MAC address ("physical address" under the "Wireless LAN Adaptor Wireless Network Connections:" which was XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX)
2. I compared that to the MAC address that came up when I ran "SCAN AP's" in Vistumbler.
3. It is a different MAC than what comes under when I run the "ipconfig/all" command.

Thus, is my wireless security working correctly as the "real" MAC is different than the one that is seen by Vistumbler?
easy2putt

Re: Is my MAC filtering/wireless security working then?

Post by easy2putt »

I've been enlightened..possibly..I noticed that the MAC address when I run "SCAN AP's" IS THE SAME as my router's MAC address..

BUT since I am using my router's wireless MAC Filter to only permit my computers MAC address then the REAL QUESTION is does it matter if people can see my router's MAC address because I've set the MAC Filter to only recognize MY computer's MAC address?
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Is my MAC filtering/wireless security working then?

Post by ACalcutt »

You are correct that vistumbler will show the mac address of the router, not the wireless card.

I believe with mac filtering anyone could see your router, but if they try to log on they will be unable to because of the mac filter you set up

-Andrew