Can Vistumbler be implemented in a windows tablet

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Can Vistumbler be implemented in a windows tablet

Post by ACalcutt »

If it running a x86 or x64 cpu with a os vista or greater i would think it should work. i've never tested though. only one way to find out...give it a try and if you get errors we can look into them further.
samitainio

Post by samitainio »

Hello!

Yes it can be used on a Windows tablet as said earlier.

My personal setup consists of Acer Iconia W511 hybrid tablet which runs on Windows 8 (32 bit) and I use a Nokia N900 over bluetooth as a GPS receiver for the time being. Vistumbler can use the internal Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless SDIO adapter off-the-box.

W511 has an internal "GPS" module which is in my opinion more of a modified A-GPS module. It gets a rough estimate of your location using only the WLAN and GSM network data without any actual GPS location. It is however not usable with Vistumbler but I wouldn't use it for this purpose anyways.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Hi samitainio

I was wondering if you have tried using the location sensor with this http://www.turboirc.com/gps7/ . I don't have a location sensor to work with, but from the looks of it this would privide NMEA data over a com port, which is what vistumbler would need.
samitainio

Post by samitainio »

Hey there!

Thank you for the tip but unfortunately I had some trouble with the app. It didn't seem to find the device. The source list only had COM 1-20 ports and Simulation. Also the Get ILocation couldn't get a location. However I did some further research and testing on the topic. Because the operating system is Windows 8 all of the internal GPS devices included by the OEM's are only accesible via the Location API. Meaning that in Windows 8 you can't anymore use the internal GPS devices straight from the COM ports.

The device itself is Broadcom GNSS Geolocation Sensor which uses BCM4751 chipset. Turns out I was very wrong earlier and the device is very much a full featured GPS device. The main problem had been the Location API which is mostly only used by the Store applications at this time. One should never be too quick to judge :oops:

I found a commercial product that got the job done and isn't that expensive in my opinion. Application is Centrafuse Localizer. It has a 30 day trial or a $14.99 bill. I installed the trial and forwarded the data to a virtual COM port and quickly tested with the Vistumbler. Works like a charm now so thanks for nudging me on the right path! With quick and rough review the GPS location seems more accurate than it was with the external.

By the way the reason I dug this information today is because I walked a longer path than normal to home from work while collecting some AP's. Who knows what had happened but the GPS data hadn't been transferred at all. So I did rough 4 kilometer (~2.5miles) walk and at home saw that I hadn't recorded any GPS data for the day! Man that I was pissed off for a good hour or two. :D

p.s
After I installed the Centrafuse Localizer and ran it I did a quick test with the app you mentioned when it decided to show the ILocation. I think there is some issue with it that the GPS needs to be running for it to see the data i.e. it cannot start the GPS device by it's own. Dunno might be wrong again but it feels like it :D
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

That Centrafuse Localizer looks interesting. I'll have to check it out one day

I was looking at the program I posted and it may not actually do what I thought it did. It looks like it would allow you to take a hardware gps that shows up as a com port and use it as a location sensor (so things that use the api could use it). I don't think it makes a virtual com port so you can use the windows location sensor like I thought it did