Cannot Detect APs

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
ulusoyca

Cannot Detect APs

Post by ulusoyca »

Hello,

I really need this software but somehow it cant detect the APs. I have windows 7 64 bit and ATHEROS AR5b97 Network Adapter. I can see the adapter name exactly when I click "Interface" tab. Then I click scan APs but it does not detect any APs.

When I run cmd "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid" I can see all the ssids. Sİnce I am at the university APs are everywhere.

I attached screenshot (In the screenshot you will see kablosuz ağ bağlantısı which means wireless network)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (101.31 KiB) Viewed 7182 times
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Cannot Detect APs

Post by ACalcutt »

based on your screenshot my guess is that you are using a non en_US version of Windows, but not using the proper language pack in Vistumbler. This means the search words (in Settings --> Set Netsh Search Words) are set incorrectly.

You can do two things to fix this.
1.) Set vistumbler to use the language pack,if one exists (in Settings --> Set Language). Make sure the language matches your version of windows . This will set the netsh search words to the proper values, and you should be able to detect access points.

2.) Manually set the netsh searchwords (in Settings --> Set Netsh Search Words). These values should match the word you see before the values when you run "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid"
ulusoyca

Post by ulusoyca »

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately in Turkish we have letters such as "ğ" "ı" and I cannot do the second option. Well, the first option also is not a solution sice Turkish language is not on the list.. Please suggest me something other than use another computer :)
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

You should be able to use those characters. We've had many different languages with all sorts of strange characters.

can you give me an export from netsh. Run the following command and post the c:\netshout.txt file it creates

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid > c:\netshout.txt
ulusoyca

Post by ulusoyca »

Hello,

I have attached the output. The problem with Turkish alpabeth is there is a letter "ğ" and it shows it on the document as "§" For example network means "Ağ" but it shows it as "A§". What's more, There is a letter "Ş" which is used as Şifreleme, but it does not show it at all :) "ifreleme"

Thanks for your care.
Attachments
netshout.txt
(8.08 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

There is a slight difference in your netsh out. I'll compare with eduroam, since we implemented eduroam here at work also

This is what I get for an output
SSID 1 : eduroam
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : 00:26:99:2d:55:80
Signal : 46%
Radio type : 802.11n
Channel : 1
Basic rates (Mbps) : 5.5
Other rates (Mbps) : 2 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
This is what you get for an output
SSID 2 : eduroam
A§ tr : Altyap
Kimlik Do§rulamas : WPA2-Enterprise
žifreleme : CCMP
BSSID 1 :
00:27:0d:0b:d1:c1
Sinyal : 64%
Radyo tr : 802.11g
Kanal : 1
Temel hzlar (Mb/sn) : 1 2 5.5 11
Di§er hzlar (Mb/sn) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54
Notice how in your file, the mac address is under the BSSID line, but it mine it is on the same line? This caused vistumbler to think the BSSID was blank, which would cause it to not consider it an Access Point.

I think I have a fix for it though. You will need the following

1.) Download the fixed Vistumbler.exe, http://vistumbler.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... vision=852 , and place it in your Vistumbler directory (overwrite the existing one). The default vistumbler directory is usually "C:\Program Files\Vistumbler"

2.) Download the start of the Turkish Language pack I created based on your netsh output, http://vistumbler.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... vision=851 , and place it in your vistumbler languages directory. The default languages directory is C:\Program Files\Vistumbler\Languages.

Once downloading those two files, go into (Settings --> Set Language) and choose the new turkish file. Restart vistumbler and hopefully you should now get results.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

There were a few words in the language pack that still need equivilents in your language. If you could check the following works in the language pack, and update them with the correct ones it would be a great help.

WEP=WEP
Adhoc=Adhoc
Cipher=Cipher

Cipher would be in the output of "netsh wlan show interfaces"