Filters for SSID and BSSID

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
kritsema4

Filters for SSID and BSSID

Post by kritsema4 »

My problem is, I have a few MAC addresses (under the export they were BSSID, but in program they fall under MAC address, and they are in MAC format). What I'm wondering is, how do I get a set of addresses to be filtered out? I tried using the star * for wildcard, but it doesn't work. 00:1D:46:7C:**:** is what I used, but when I enable it, It removes everything, including 3 that fit that formula. What am I doing wrong? I'm working on a personal project, when it's done I'll share what it is if it works.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Filters for SSID and BSSID

Post by ACalcutt »

The filter for mac address uses the literal string, I don't think I gave it the ability to do a range with a wildcard or dash. You would have to specify each mac address you wanted to see

At the moment you would have to specify each mac address you wanted to see, like the following
00:1D:46:7C:00:01|00:1D:46:7C:00:02|00:1D:46:7C:00:03

I'd imagine with the number of mac addresses you are talking about that this would have issues. I will look to see if i can do some sort of like statement for mac address, something like "00:1D:46:7C%"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I uploaded v10.3 Beta 5 which supports '%' in the mac address field. You should see it as an automatic update if you have vistumbler checking for beta updates. You can also manually update by replacing your vistumbler.exe (by default in c:\program files\vistumbler\) with the one from the svn http://vistumbler.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... vision=835

for the example you have you should be able to use the following
00:1D:46:7C%

you could also do something with multiple wildcards
00:1D:46:%:00:%

kep in mind, right now % can only be used with mac address/bssid
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I remembered you should be able to do a range with a dash.

For your example you could have done
00:1D:46:7C:00:00-00:1D:46:7C:FF:FF

This works with the older versions of vistumbler, but i had forgotten about it.
kritsema4

Post by kritsema4 »

Thanks! Another problem I ran into was determining whether or not it was the BSSID or the MAC address. In the CSV report, it showed the ID as BSSID, but under the main UI of Vistumbler, it shows it as MAC Address. The SSID on both CSV and UI is blank for the networks I want to detect, but I assume that's because it is a "hidden" SSID since it is the police force.
kritsema4

Post by kritsema4 »

Also, kind of unrelated, but is Vistumbler compatible with the chipset RTL8187L ? In use with RadioLab's CaptiFi, this program has serious potential. PS I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

kritsema4 wrote:Another problem I ran into was determining whether or not it was the BSSID or the MAC address.
BSSID in vistumbler is always the mac address of the the broadcasting device. The column label "Mac Address" in vistumbler is what I chose to label BSSID in the English language file (it is changeable by making a new language file or modifying the existing one).
kritsema4 wrote:The SSID on both CSV and UI is blank for the networks I want to detect, but I assume that's because it is a "hidden" SSID since it is the police force.
You are correct about the SSID. If the SSID is hidden it will show up as a empty SSID.

However, netsh sometimes returns two entires if the ssid is hidden. Both have the same mac address, but one has the SSID and one doesn't. This shows up in vistumbler as two separate access points due to the difference in SSID (one will show up with the SSID, even though it is supposed to be hidden)
kritsema4 wrote:Also, kind of unrelated, but is Vistumbler compatible with the chipset RTL8187L ?
As long as the adapter works with windows it should be fine. Some chipsets seem to work better than others, but I couldn't tell you which ones. If you notice that all access points going active and dead constantly I would go into the settings and raise the "Time to wait before marking APs dead" to 5 seconds. Other than that any card I have tried has worked.