Effect of the OS on results

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
say42

Effect of the OS on results

Post by say42 »

I found Vistumbler on Saturday as a replacement for NetStumbler for a machine running Vista. As it worked, I added it to an XP machine and today a Win7 machine.

I am worried that the 3 machines are giving different results when looking at my home network

Win XP sees it as a WPA-PSK network on Chan 0
Vista as WPA-Personal on Chan 7
Win7 doesn't identify the encryption but says it is using Chan 0

Should I be worried ? The win 7 is having problems connecting to the network which is why I installed Vistumbler on it.

Steve
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Effect of the OS on results

Post by pferland »

Windows XP does not have netsh wireless extensions, so Andrew was stuck with using the native API which only gives a little bit of info for the APs which ends up being pretty useless.. As for why your Windows 7 computer is not showing correctly, it could be corrupt wireless drivers, or there is something else, because there is no true Channel 0, all 802.11 Wireless start at Channel 1.

Are you able to connect or see any other Access Points in your area?

-phil
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
say42

Post by say42 »

Phil, thanks for the explanation.

The Win7 machine won't connect to anything and is now packed waiting to go back to HP who think the card is kaput.

Thanks again
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

A few other reason the channel could be 0 on Windows 7 are

-You are using a non EN_US version of windows and do not have the proper language pack (or netsh searchwords) set
-Native wifi mode is enabled. If Native wifi mode is turned on you will not see the channels. Check this in (Options -> Use Native Wifi) in vistumbler.
-Vistumbler is running in XP compatibility mode ( If you got a prompt when you installed asking if it installed correctly and you say no it may get compatibility mode turned on)