AP Locations

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
davejazz741

AP Locations

Post by davejazz741 »

My GPS appears to be working but the location of any AP Vistumbler finds is located right outside my bedroom window in the driveway. Is the location calculated using the access point's MAC address instead of my GPS unit?

The latitude and longitude fields are all zero's when I turn the GPS off but seem to be right on top of me when it's on.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: AP Locations

Post by ACalcutt »

The only way vistumbler should use mac addresses to find your location is if you have "Auto WifiDB Gps Locate" enabled. This setting uses the wifidb to try and find your location. (in the latest beta this it located in the WifiDB menu... it used to be in options)

If that setting isn't enabled are you moving around? If you are staying in one spot vistumbler will map all APs to whatever your gps location is. It should update different access points that are active based on signal strength (eg. if the access points signal goes higher it will use whatever your current gps is...if the signal is lower the position will not change for that particular ap)
davejazz741

Post by davejazz741 »

Thanks for your reply. I'm using VS in a static location. I did some "war driving" the other night and found a ton more access points. Unfortunately, I didn't have the GPS with me so no locations were included.

From your reply, it sounds like "war driving" is the only way to find actual locations.
davejazz741

Post by davejazz741 »

WOW! Went on a very short "war drive" this afternoon (about 15 minutes) and located close to 500 locations. I had the GPS with me this time and everything transferred beautifully to the Google Map.

Thank you!
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Glad to hear it working for you :-)