Settings on Vistumbler & G/E for better Display on G/E? Help?

Having a problem? Ask for help here.
tgtarot

Settings on Vistumbler & G/E for better Display on G/E? Help?

Post by tgtarot »

Now that I have actually got Vistumbler and Google Earth more or less hand-shaking and talking to each other and more or less displaying my general location area on G/E, how do I configure Vistumbler & Google Earth to transfer and display the APs, Labels, and other info that I have on Vistumbler onto Google Earth? What is the EXACT procedure?

What are the EXACT settings on Vistumbler and Google Earth that are required to make this happen?

Are there ANY docs, articles, YouTubes, etc., anywhere that actually describes this process?

So far, I have only been able to locate one external website/article that describes this partially circa 2012.

"VISUALIZE WI-FI NETWORKS USING VISTUMBLER AND GOOGLE EARTH"
https://dalewifisec.wordpress.com/2012/ ... gle-earth/

Is there anything else more complete or more recent?

Thanks in advance. Are there any images (jpegs) anywhere that can demonstrate what a successful image on G/E displaying APs, Labels, and other Vistumbler data on G/E would look like?

Thanks in advance.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Settings on Vistumbler & G/E for better Display on G/E? Help?

Post by ACalcutt »

That guide you posted seems pretty good.

If you are just trying to export all the APs in your list to google earth, you just use the (File -> Export -> KML -> All APs) and select the things you would like to export

If you are trying to use Live GPS tracking.
1.) Download and Install Google Earth Pro. The web version of google earth will not work for live gps tracking.
2.) Go into Vistumbler. Open Settings -> Auto KML.
  • Set Google Earth exe path (eg. C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe ).
  • Set the Refresh Times (this is how often each thing gets updated)
  • If you want the view in google earth to follow your location, Enable and Set the fly to settings

3.) Click 'Use GPS' and make sure you are seeing a GPS position
4.) In the Options Menu (or AutoKML Settings), Enable 'Auto KML'
5.) In the Extra Menu, Select 'Open KML Network Link'. Google earth should open and load the network link, which refreshes with the settings you chose in Auto KML settings.
6.) If you change settings, you need to reload the Network link. if you have the option 'Automatically Open Network Link' this will happen when you save the settings. Otherwise, you can do it manually again any time.

These days I don't use this feature much because with the creation of our wireless database ( https://wifidb.net ) , I usually do my map visualizing there. Usually I set my vistumbler into minimal gui mode (View -> Minimal GUI Mode), then set up autosave settings (Settings -> Save Settings -> AutoSave And Clear) and then use the the "Save & Clear" button to save on the fly.
tgtarot

Post by tgtarot »

These days I don't use this feature much because with the creation of our wireless database ( https://wifidb.net ) , I usually do my map visualizing there. Usually I set my vistumbler into minimal gui mode (View -> Minimal GUI Mode), then set up autosave settings (Settings -> Save Settings -> AutoSave And Clear) and then use the "Save & Clear" button to save on the fly.
I've tried several times to register and create an account on the "Vistumbler WifiDB" Web Page. How do I register and get an account on "Vistumbler WifiDB"?
tgtarot

Post by tgtarot »

I finally managed to install and configure Vistumbler so it runs with GPS more or less ok.

EXCEPT I can't get my "current Position and all the APs to display correctly on Google Earth.

My "Current Position" has to be off by at least 200 yards, and ALL the APs are totally off. The APs should be located in the houses in my area however, they all seem to be off in the woods! LOL!

What settings on Vistumbler or Google Earth should I use to correct this? Thanks in advance.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

This isn't a Vistumbler or Google Earth issue, but more a gps accuracy one. GPS needs a clear view of the sky, and the more satellites visible to the gps, the better the accuracy should be. If you are inside a house, or in an area with dense trees or buildings, your gps accuracy may be off. Also, I think I have read gps accuracy is better when in motion (ie, if you are sitting still your position will wander)

The location vistumbler maps an AP to is the place it had the highest signal strength. If multiple signal points have the same rssi, the position with that strength and the highest number of satellites gets used. So as you get closer to the AP, and your gps improves, the position on the map should improve too.

There is still a chance if you have a high signal AP, with a poor quality gps point, that it will get "stuck" in the bad gps points location, just because the signal was higher there. Thinking about what I could do, maybe I could introduce is gps satellite minimum, so is less like to end up with those bad points...but other than that I don't know what I could do.
SelmaAdam

Post by SelmaAdam »

Thanks for the procedure. I did not know how to set the Vistumbler. I will try and use them to see if they will help.