Wiring SP Racing F3 Controller with X8R SBUS, GPS, OSD, and Telemetry

A place to talk about building and flying drones
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

This is my wiring diagram for the SP Racing F3 Controller with SBUS , GPS, OSD, and Telemetry when used with betaflight. OSD and Telemetry are still untested at this time, but from what I've read this is how I would set it up

Controller: SP Racing F3 Flight Controller Delux
Frame: Robocat 270mm cabon Fiber Racing Mini Quadcopter Frame
PDB: Mini Power Hub Distribution Board V3
Motors: 4x Cobra CM2206/20 Multirotor Motor, Kv=2100
ESC: 4x DYS BLHeli XM 20A V1 ESC
Camera and Transmitter: Eachine 700tvl 600mW 1/3 Cmos FPV 110 Degree Camera w/32CH Trans
OSD: Micro MinimOSD
Battery: Turnigy Nano-Tech 2200mAh 4S 14.8V
Antennas: FPV 5.8GHz Clover-Leaf Antenna

Reference docs:
Cleanflight SP Racing F3 reference - https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanfli ... acingF3.md
Cleanflight Telemetry - https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanfli ... lemetry.md
Using SBus, SmartPort Telemetry on Naze32 - http://blog.oscarliang.net/sbus-smartpo ... ry-naze32/

spracing_layout_v2.png
spracing_layout_v2.png (2.26 MiB) Viewed 98831 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

After a paintjob
Attachments
d3.jpg
d3.jpg (944.14 KiB) Viewed 98852 times
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Cool!

In the photo 20160424_084250[1].jpg, love that antenna. Looks like something out of Dr. Seuss!

When's the maiden voyage? Will it have Vistumbler onboard so you can warfly over neighborhoods?

Cheers - Jon N7UV
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I've already had serveral flights, several crashes, and several rebuilds... lol. Its been swimming in a pond and lost in the woods already. The antenna in 20160424_084250[1].jpg is likely a victim of one of those crashes.

Looks like I may need to look at getting a amateur radio technician license to use this video equipment legally. I'm not 100% sure on that but the video is running on 5.8GHZ right now and from what i'm reading I need a license to use that frequency. Going to need to brush up on some amplifier electronics for that though since i don't remember much of that stuff from electronics class...

I don't think vistumbler will be onboard anytime soon...maybe someday. I do want to try and get the gps information back from the drone though. I know I can do it though video using an OSD (on screen display I can see in my googles). But with the Taranis open source transmitter I got I should be able to send gps data and telemetry stuff back from the drone to the transmitter. and from the transmitter I should be able to link to a pc or device over bluetooth. I haven't messed much with the telemetry stuff yet but I hope i can get to that.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Perhaps the easiest way to turn it into a warflying devil is not to put a Windows box on board (lots of power consumption and complexity) but to build "bent-pipe" Wi-Fi system that has a receiver for 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and a transmitter for 5.8 GHz, then as the airship is flying along anything it hears in the 2.4 GHz band gets automagically repeated onto the 5.8 GHz band and one can run Vistumbler on a local PC that's in range of the warflyer.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

It would be cool to somehow collect that data and send it back. My taranis transmitter is operating at 2.4GHz using the ACCST protocol also though, so there may be a lot of 2.4GHz data on that channel.

One thing I wonder is if i could get the wifi data somehow, if i could send it as telemetry through my taranis. the receiver supports sending data, like gps, battery levels, and other data. maybe i could feed some wifi data in also. it also has a serial interface on the back where you can get the live telemetry data (from what i read)
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I also think with something like the raspberry pi zero it would be really easy to get a full capable pc up there with little power use.
FPVnewbie

Post by FPVnewbie »

Hey, thanks a lot for sharing your config, this has been really helpfull! I am a complete beginner currently building my first quad.

I got almost the same pieces but ended up with a slightly different configuration.

My telemetry does not go through SBUS but through Smart plug. Also I was wondering why the X8R is powered by both the PDB and the Flight controler.. Does that make any sense?

Here is my settup. Comments is you see anything wrong that would be very appreciated.
Connection SP racing F3 to X8R
Connection SP racing F3 to X8R
Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.52.35.png (839.03 KiB) Viewed 73592 times
Cheers and good flight!
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Hi FPVnewbie,

If you plan to use those parts, I don't think you need one of the power wires from your pdb. either the reciverer would get power from the flight controller or vice versa...i don't think you want both. And it is correct the sbus doesn't do telemetry and you have to use the port on the other side.

In my drones I have switched them all to the Frsky XSR receiver. I was only really using sbus and telemetry...so all the extra connections on the X8R were just a waste. The XSR is much smaller and its is basically just sbus and telemetry.

You may also want to look if you have a connection for battery on your flight controller (is that a spracing board?). the battery alarms in betaflight would be helpful because you don't have one on your pdb
CoraDias

Re: Wiring SP Racing F3 Controller with X8R SBUS, GPS, OSD, and Telemetry

Post by CoraDias »

Hi...i am a new user here. I think there is an incoming PR regarding not using NAV-DOP, NAV-STATUS, NAV-POSLLH and NAV-VELNED anymore in favor of NAV-PVT . It is likely that the problem disappears with it. Have you also tried activating NAV-DOP message manually?

pcb assembly house