New Signal Map

Talk about random things WiFiDB related, either new things, concepts, or issues to work out in code.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

New Signal Map

Post by ACalcutt »

I've added a new signal map that uses our online maps. It is similar to my old KMZ signal map, but not quite so 3d.
mapbox_signal_map.png
mapbox_signal_map.png (11.81 KiB) Viewed 12282 times

This feature maps the history of a single access point. Anywhere you see the new signal map icon you can see the signal history of a AP. (
sigmap_on.png
sigmap_on.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 12281 times
) The history will be show as color circles. The color changes as the signal increases (dark red < 16, red < 32, orange < 48, yellow < 64, light green < 80, dark green < 100 )

Note, for APs with a lot of history, right now you will only see the last 50,000 history points. if you hit this limit, it could take ~60 seconds to load on the map. If you want to see older results, there is also a per-list AP signal map view.

@arizonajon , some of your stuff looked really interesting in this new signal map.
ACalcutt

Re: New Signal Map

Post by ACalcutt »

I made a lot of changes to the map over the weekend, so if you had an issue it was likely just me working on features.

New features for the MAP

1.) When you browse around the map, the url is now updated with your current view settings. This makes it possible to share the url and show someone what you are looking at (or bookmark/reload it for yourself). ex ( https://wifidb.net/wifidb/opt/map.php?f ... zoom=18.00 ) *note*, older browsers like IE may not support the url update, but if you are using something like IE for this, you will have a bad time (its sooo slow on the map)

2.) I have changed how the labeling works so it no longer requires a page reload. this means you can now change the labels on the fly. Right now I have added "SSID, Channel, First Active, Last Active, Points" as labels for the regular maps and "Signal , RSSI, Date" for the new signal maps.
map_labels.png
map_labels.png (46.87 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
. *note* if there are many APs in one spot you won't be able to see them all... you can see more by zooming in and adjusting your view, but you may still not see everything (just the nature of things on top of each other)

3.) I have update the popup menus you get when you click an access point in the map. For regular maps, the link under "Points", now links to the signal map for the access point. For the Signal Map, I Have simplifed the information a bit, but Added Signal,RSSI, and File ID (w link). The User in the Signal Map is also the user who submitted that point (where on the regular map it is the first user who discover it)
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Hi Andrew -

Thanks for the new feature! I ran into it when I didn't know what that icon was %^) and clicked on it. Was looking at random APs around here, some have quite a range! Nearly unbelievable!
Capture12apr21c.PNG
So, here's a random one, the location circled is my place on the hill. The main streets are on a 1/2 mile grid. Pretty much everything west (left) of the blue canal line (diagonal, flows from SE to NW) is 200' lower than the house.
But this one is the most incredible: it's an AP I had mounted on the roof of the house, I believe it was a UBNT 2.4 GHz M-series Bullet. Had a 7 dBi gain omni antenna as well.
Capture12apr21d.PNG
With the range of hills trending SE/NW (the blanks in the map) there's no way I could have signal 6+ miles NNE of my house. That's just weird.
I have a question about the data shown in the detail when a point is clicked on.
Capture12apr21e.PNG
The Altitude line - is this the altitude at which the position and signal strength measurement was made? Because for every single point, it's always "1364.17", no matter what file ID or date.

Cheer and 73 - Jon N7UV
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I'm glad you got to try out the new features. I've also been doing a lot of work in the background to make the KMZ and GeoJSON share the same code. For example, on that signal map page you can also export to json and kmz, and you will get the same data that is on the map
json_kmz.png
json_kmz.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 12278 times
(note, the json/map have a limit of 50,000 points, but I limited KMZ to 25,000 points for GE performance reasons and so it could be loaded into the web google earth)

The Altitude thing should be fixed. It was showing the Altitude of the highest gps point, but now it shows the signal point altitude like it should. I also added in Satellites, Accuracy, and HDOP (if they are available.. Accuracy isn't in VS1 files and Satellites isn't in wigle files)
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Looking at the mountain between your home AP, that is quite some distance to get despite that.