We're up to march 2018, so I would suspect I'm almost done with the rebuild...probably by the end of the week. I expect the count will be slightly lower, since one of the issues I fixed was causing duplicate APs (it was reading files fields incorrectly, with one of the fields used in ap hash)
I notice right now it is importing some of your huge files that have basically no new APs, so it is taking forever basically adding huge amounts of signal history. From watching the imports I have the feeling it gets stuck updating the highest GPS when it hits an access point with huge amounts of history...i see the imports pausing on your "cryptic" APs quite often...i think its because it is querying all signal history to figure out its high GPS point every time it sees it, and it just has a ton of history...
I have been working on a lot of front end improvements. I've revived and improved Theme support and am testing a new css version of my outdated vistumbler theme. I may disable this at some point, but right now you can switch between the new theme and the old one in the "Themes
" section. I've also added Map, Json, and KMZ icons in a lot of places they didn't exist before (the globe icon now brings you to the map, the red icon is now kmz). Manufacturer has been added pretty much everywhere. Geonames support on the AP page is now working much more simply. I've also been trying to remove a lot of unneeded cruft we're accumulated over the years.
On the backend I updated the import support. The database can now import Vistumbler VS1,VSZ,MDB, WiggleWifi CSV (android), Wardrive DB/DB3 (andorid), Swardriving CSV (android). Wardrive imports are now a direct import and no longer convert to VS1 first... this allows me to keep all the flags that dosen't exist in vistumbler. I wouldn't mind adding support for other applications if you have something that you prefer...at the moment though, vistumbler provides more information than the others. (none of the android exports provide radio type. the import assumes g or n based on frequency)
I don't know if you had a chance to look at any of the new mapbox maps i've added, but I really find the full DB export quite interesting. The amount you've added really is amazing...I never thought we would have any area in that much detail. ( https://live.wifidb.net/wifidb/opt/map. ... =wifidbmap
) . I still want to get a few more levels of satellite imagery though, since the road data (Open Street Maps) for phoenix don't seem nearly as good as they are in Massachusetts and at the level you have to zoom to see all the AP detail the satalite imagery is kind of blury.
I've been highly active updating the wifidb ( https://github.com/acalcutt/WifiDB/commits/master
), but i think I have pretty much everything I wanted done for now. at this time i'm just waiting for the rebuild to complete... I think my limitation is the MYSQL server, becasue i've had 8 CPU cores pegged doing the rebuild.
On a hardware note, i had tried a "Vanquisher 8-Inch Industrial Rugged Tablet PC" over the summer. I really wanted to like it but in the end i couldn't keep a stable gps position with the internal gps. i liked it because it was basically an unlocked standard pc in tablet form...but it was a pain to find all the drivers when i reinstalled it. I ended up returning it due to the gps issues... it was to expensive not to have that work.