WiFiDB Alpha 0.14 Code Release

Talk about random things WiFiDB related, either new things, concepts, or issues to work out in code.
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

WiFiDB Alpha 0.14 Code Release

Post by pferland »

Ok, so some of you may have seen the "Phil's WiFiDB (Alpha)" option in Vistumbler Extra menu for some time
WiFiDB option in extra's menu
WiFiDB option in extra's menu
wifidb.png (195.1 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
Some of you have even been participating a little at a time, and others a little more, and some just don’t even know what it is.
Well, I am happy to say, that I am making available the first Alpha release of WiFiDB (really I think this should be a temporary name, but who knows it could stick)

If you haven’t clicked on that link before it will take you to either my Development site [rihq.randomintervals.com] or my 'Production' Site [www.randomintervals.com] (depending on the version of Vistumbler that you are using.) and take the access points that are currently in Vistumbler and allow you to import them into the Database. You can also take saved VS1 and TXT files that you have made with Vistumbler and import them too.
settings window in Vistumbler to change URL of WiFiDB and Graphing server
settings window in Vistumbler to change URL of WiFiDB and Graphing server
settings.png (78.08 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
If you know a thing or two about setting up a PHP and MySQL environment you can set up your own WiFiDB server, and change the URL in Vistumbler to Import the Access points you find into your own Database.
You will need a minimum of an apache/IIS, PHP 5.1 with GD enabled, and MySQL 4.1

For those of you that have been following, you know this is still a major work in progress, and has a lot to go. But it has made a lot of progress since I started working on it almost a year ago. You also can tell I have been waiting a long time to finally make the first code available.

I am looking for input and maybe if someone is up to it, someone to co-code this project with.

But anyway, here it is, and let me know what you think of it.

The Live demo's I have been running are at
Dev: http://rihq.randomintervals.com/wifidb/ -In constant Development, flushed constantly
Prod: http://www.randomintervals.com/wifidb/ -The Most stable code, never flushed unless there is a major revision, even then I try and convert the data

Phil

[EDIT by pferland at 2:10PM 11/15/08]
In the haste of my 3am release i spelled ALPHA wrong on the filename of ths zip
re-uploaded it with the correct spelling,
also, this morning when I woke up, I had a burning feeling that there were some
issues still lurking in the new installer, and there was, if any of you went to the SVN
and grabed code between SVN ver 115 and 123, it probably wont work, 124 is the latest
that is working, also the zip attachment is working and is the same code as the SVN 124
Attachments
wifidb_alpha_0.14.rar
WiFiDB Alpha code release 0.14
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Re: WiFiDB Alpha 0.14 Code Release

Post by pferland »

Uploaded the Code to SourceForge.net http://vistumbler.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... athrev=124
so you can get it there too if you prefer,
I wrote the entire PHP portion of the database on windows :roll: ,
so if you have any issues with it running on linux,
let me know and I will see what i can do to fix any issues :lol:

-Phil
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
mordouc

Post by mordouc »

Hello.
My name is tom....i have vistumbler on my pc but i don't know what it works for and also i don't know how to operate it. I need your help to tell me how it works.

Thanks.i await your reply back
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

Tom, This section of the forum is for the WiFiDB. Please post in the Vistumbler->General->Help section for these types of questions in the future

To start using vistumbler
1.)The default language is US English. If your vista is in another language, pick the proper language pack in [Settings -> Language]. (If your language does not exist, click the SearchWords tab and click guess searchwords)
2.)Pick the proper wireless interface [Interface -> (your wireless adapter)]
3.)Click "Scan APs", All wireless networks availible to you should now show
mordouc

Post by mordouc »

Thank you for your help...but still i want to know if i can make use of it both outside united states and united kingdom.Also please where can i get a mailer?
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I don't see why you couldn't use it outside those areas, people all over the world are using vistumbler....
We have no mailer