.4 mile (643m) wireless link

ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

.4 mile (643m) wireless link

Post by ACalcutt »

Hey everyone.

I am thinking about trying to create a wireless link between my house and a friends house (who does not have internet). It is about .4 miles away. We do not have line of site yet but i think with something tall on his end we could get it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have never done a long link like this....

Here is the google screenshots of this
roberts_wireless_path.jpg
roberts_wireless_path.jpg (205.56 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
roberts_wireless_terrain.jpg
roberts_wireless_terrain.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 17710 times
I borrowed this directional antenna and aimed it in the general direction for a test.
ant.jpg
ant.jpg (141.1 KiB) Viewed 17710 times
We turned our DD-WRT power up to 150mW and tested the signal strength as far back as we could and the highest signal I got was ~72% in vistumbler (don't have netstumbler...so i'm not sure what that relates to it DB). We also drove down kenwood drive but we were unable to pick up the network.
roberts_wireless_endoflot.jpg
roberts_wireless_endoflot.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 17708 times
Attachments
link.kml
(8.3 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
link.VS1
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Re: .4 mile (643m) wireless link

Post by Freebe »

4Km :lol: Thats NO Distance
Take a Look at this
> http://www.channelpartner.de/2005/august/226583/

Sorry i had to make a No live link but it might be against the Board rules.

So as to your Question on ( I am thinking about trying to create a wireless link between my house and a friends house ) you might have to get rid of some of those Trees. ( could be a Problem )
Let me know how you get on, as i have been using the Alfa 500mw and that pulls OK. But i think you miget do better with a Wlan Dish (45cm )
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I didn't think distance would be a problem since i've read about links of 22 miles and more.

getting rid of trees probably isn't an option since me or my friend do not own the property. I am also unable to go much higher on my end since it would be against the rules of my building.

What I think we are going to try is doing some type of high pole on my friends end (since he owns the property and can do that type of thing). If I could get line of sight i think it will be possible, but getting that will be the tricky part.

I was also reading about signal though trees. From what I read yesterday it said that each tree would be something like a 10db - 15db loss. So with the amount of trees in between I doubt I would ever get signal unless I can get the line of sight

ps. I am pretty sure you can post links on the forum without modifying them (I know I never specified a rule that links could be posted). If you can't let me know and I will try to change it
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

@ ACalcutt
Yes OK. i will put some links in if you say its OK, ( din't want to do this without the OK. )
I am about to try some tests next with an Old Sat Dish, will let you know how it goes.
PS. have a freind of mein with a chain saw ( just need the AD ) and a dark night. :-))
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

@ ACalcutt... IF you are running a highly directional Yagi , then I am not supprised that you did not detect it on Kenwood.

Trees may cause a small amount of loss if they are in the Frensel zone of the beam.. But if they are in direct path, sure there will be a significant loss. Also expect some loss of signal in heavy rains. Onkly half a mile is no problem.. Biggest hurdle is getting the to directionals pointed squarely at eachother and FIRMLY mounted.. even an inch or two of wind motion can cause a LARGE change in signal...
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I've been meaning to post an update to this.

The friend who wants me to do this dropped off some nice equipment for me to mess with last week. (3Com® 11a 54 Mbps Wireless LAN Outdoor Building-to-Building Bridge and 11b/g Access Point). Now I just need to figure out how to configure it properly ;-).
IMG_1145.png
IMG_1145.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 17066 times
IMG_1147.png
IMG_1147.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 17066 times
IMG_1149.png
IMG_1149.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 17066 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

@mysticvirgo67

Thanks for the tips. I have never done anything like this before, so any pointers you have are welcome.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

is easy really.. just rember to mind your "ip's" & q's LOL
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Ohh. go to www.wirelessforums.org or maybe .net .. I have consulted there.. a really sharp set of cookies...
khat10

Post by khat10 »

Trees may cause a small amount of loss if they are in the Frensel zone of the beam.. But if they are in direct path, sure there will be a significant loss. Also expect some loss of signal in heavy rains. Onkly half a mile is no problem.. Biggest hurdle is getting the to directionals pointed squarely at each other and FIRMLY mounted.. even an inch or two of wind motion can cause a LARGE change in signal...
khat10

Post by khat10 »

Trees may cause a small amount of loss if they are in the Frensel zone of the beam.. But if they are in direct path, sure there will be a significant loss. Also expect some loss of signal in heavy rains. Onkly half a mile is no problem.. Biggest hurdle is getting the to directionals pointed squarely at each other and FIRMLY mounted.. even an inch or two of wind motion can cause a LARGE change in signal...