sure got quiet

Talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

sure got quiet

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Everyone ok?? or did we get into one of those "no new posts" feedback loops...

CheckNewPost
If CheckNewPost = "" then CheckNewPost
Else Post

LOL
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: sure got quiet

Post by ACalcutt »

I've been fixing a friends computer. Their taskbar wouldn't show, and if I restarted explorer it showed for two seconds and went away. Took my whole spyware arsenal and a windows repair just to get it back without loosing all their programs. Just finished like an hour ago. I've been working on it since last night at 7:00...lol
mysticvirgo67

must be contagious

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

My mothers compter is still acting up, too. Certain programs, mostly disney branded games, will run for a short time and then just flat shut down.. no error messages or anything. We checked up on all the compatability settings. All is good... The antivirals didn't catch anything. Was surprising to me that Avvast didnt catch anything .. it is too good for that so I am thinking it is more than just viral. I am thinking that she has somehow caught a nasty bit of malware.

I thought that she might have gotten a trojaned version of Norton AV, but the version she had was OEM.
WE got rid of Norton and added McAffee (btw found out that there is a high priced gated community new to my area named mcAffee chuckle). During the McAfeedownload, She got a pop-up/splash wanting her to install Norton.. McAffee started doing the same 'silent abort' (my term) when scanning that the games were doing during play.

Got rid of McAffee today and installed Avast. Got the popup for norton again, but avast did complete a full,standard scan and found nothing. Avast seems to be stable for now.

So my thinking is that somewhere, somehow, her computer suffered a malware trojan or worm... I won't know until I can convince her to let the wife and I take a turn at diagnostics. Oh and the tough part is is that Mom refuses to let us do a full system recovery.

I guess it is time to clean out a usb drive and start getting my toolkit together...
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

I've been addicted to Spore this weekend.. must... evolve... more... :smilegrin:
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Yeah Spore rocks.. have you located earth yet?
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

No sadly I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm only just starting to expand my empire beyond 5 stars lol.
But i did watch a video about it, and that Maxis had it change the rough location of it in each game :-(
But still a great game and love how everything reacts to how you play.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

YEah I really liked it too.. started to seem a little repetative towards the end... But I love building critters. ANd aircraft... Ummm.. most of the time if another society starts demanding tribute, as long as you don't open thier messages, they will let you be. My laptop is BARELY able to run Spore. The Vidchips are justa little bit under recomended. I think I like the microscopic scale the most. Do wish it had more stages , though.
The 3D/depth effect in the microbe world is cool as hell!
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

@mysticvirgo67 ( sure got quiet )
Yes XMAS onthe way :D
@Andrew Ye and my PC has been giving me some funny things since i installed the New Vistumbler. :mrgreen:
But it just gets better every day. :wink:
@pferland Will try and send you some AP(s) from this side of the World next. That is if you don't already have them. :lol:
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

nice always love having more new APs in the database.
The Daemon Generated KMZ file is getting a little big for Google Earth, when you go to view New England it tends to sit and 'think' about it for a few min before it will render the screen lol
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Umm oerhaps the DB could do with being broken down into regions or area??? Allow users to dload only the areas of interest to reduce the workload on GE???
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

but what fun is that, if you cant see all the APs at once? lol