Murphy's Ninth law of Computing

Talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Murphy's Ninth law of Computing

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

9. A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked perfectly.

--Are you paying attention, Andrew??? BTW-- TAG!
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Murphy's Ninth law of Computing

Post by ACalcutt »

very true.

But I also think that a "complex system that does not work" is an important step in making a complex system that works perfectly :-). It is all those failures/lessons that will make the final product great :-)
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

I believe in starting off with a nice and simple object and slowly add more working features that are build separately and integrated.

but anything where you end up with something working, is good.

I need to shut my mouth now, because I found another stupid bug in WiFiDB, I could have sworn that I changed the chan field in the pointers table to support 3 chars, but alas it was still at 2 chars. I hate it when legacy code gets mixed in with the newest stuff. :-(
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

A simple system that works will probably work with most people, if you make it more complicated how will i cope with this. :mrgreen:
A complicated system can only be used by a few, so here you have limmeted your people, that lets me out of it.
But a simple system that can do every thing can even be used by my Wife. :lol: Keep it simple but automatic . :wink:
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

<===== Agreeswith Pfer....

===mystic
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Freebe , Long time no hear, comrade..

I actually like the concept of stand-alone "applications', subroutines that are simple and share a common database.

Complex units that are built of simple simpler units that DO work , that are in themselves robust, . If the parts are robust, then the complex unit will be robust. Share the simple, moduler subunits in different configurations for different applications.

Simple , like Lego Blocks.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

It is axiomatic that any spares required will have just been discontinued and will be no longer in stock.

has happenned to my HP. Only one year old and no longer supported in parts. Front bezel with touchpad $300 USD of course, no longer in stock.

IMESHO.. Murphy was an ass***E!
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

All Constants are Variables.
Sent by Risto Matikainen
Constants aren't
Variables won't

Well DUH! That is a law of Mathematics as well. Got me through AP Algebra.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

The faster you need a hardcopy, the more people will be using the only office printer.

Is truth... happenned to me constantly when I used to be a bank file clerk. Would get me in trouble with the manager
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

The only program that runs perfectly every time, is a virus

Then program like it were a virus. :twisted:

or a simple cell..
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Subcorralary to

Law of Computer Generated Aerodynamics
Computers suck.

---nah, just PC's
Freebe
DIY Contributor
DIY Contributor

Post by Freebe »

mysticvirgo67 wrote:The faster you need a hardcopy, the more people will be using the only office printer.

Is truth... happenned to me constantly when I used to be a bank file clerk. Would get me in trouble with the manager
And you tell us you Don't have any Money :mrgreen: :lol:

PS. been up to my ears in work, no time for the board, but andy makes up for my lost time. :wink:
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

I don't have any money.. I was in charge of finding documentation for forclosing preceedings.. the place was a complete HOLE.. I quit and one year later, they failed and closed