Ummm.. I may get tagged for this, Andrew

Talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

But what code is Vistumbler in again?
I was wanting to 'proofread' the code... maybe be able to find more it more elegance.
Plus I have been needing to learn a new code.. Not much call for Commodore Basic anymore LOL
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Ummm.. I may get tagged for this, Andrew

Post by ACalcutt »

The latest code for vistumbler is located here on the SVN: http://vistumbler.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... umblerMDB/

The main vistumbler program sourcecode is "Vistumbler.au3" (http://vistumbler.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... iew=markup)
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Well that is fabu, but I meant the coding language..
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

The language is AutoIt. http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml. It comes with a great help document that explains all the functions. Their forum is also very helpful.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Thankyo And...
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

littering and.........

Smoking the reefer

:lol:
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Also, I recommend downloading the full scite package that is on that page (right below the autoit download icon) if you plan on doing any scripting. That adds nice things like syntax checking and tidy(and a bunch of other tools) that definitely come in handy.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

I got them both.. will play with it sometime this coming week.. have yardsale to plan. Work work work work work
fairyanna

Post by fairyanna »

Thanks for responding. Will probe in inSSIDer but I don't have data del GPS (GPGGA) equal by vistumbler only the gprmc. I have worked with Vistumbler and this gps but this is the first time that I not have the positioning data from GPS (GPGGA).
Lily lara
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

wow, this is an old thread. Hopefully someone's still out there.

First, I found Vistumbler today after a lot of searching. It's a miracle! Thank you for creating it!

I have a Win 7 Pro dual-core Atom in the truck. Had been a NetStumbler person for years using XP and legacy Wi-Fi dongles. For the past 15 years, GPS has been an antique serial 4800 baud Jupiter chipset which reliably churns out GGA and RMC (among other) messages once per second.

Got VStum loaded up this afternoon, it immediately accessed my USB dual-band Wi-Fi adapter (Amped Wireless UA230A), found tons of A/Ps, but it seems to have serious issues parsing the GGA and RMC messages in the GPS serial stream. I get the lat / lon displayed in the upper area but every 30 seconds or so it shows N000 E000 (or 0000N 0000E, whichever), then goes back to my lat/lon. The GGA n/30 and RMC m/30 messages keep popping up every second, the GPS location is ok, both n and m increment about once a second, but once n hits 30, then the lat/lon resets to zero and immediately comes back to the correct position. m hitting 30 doesn't seem to have the same effect. I have tried connecting the GPS via the "native" serial port on the motherboard, as well as a Prolific serial/USB dongle, with no difference in performance.

After a while, which could be minutes to an hour, it finally gives up on the GPS and makes a sound which I assume is that the GPS has been disconnected. The button for Use GPS becomes active again, but clicking on it doesn't get the GPS back. I close VStum and check the serial port using PuTTY and the serial data's still there.

This is the perfect tool for my activities, but I'm hoping that some of you have figured out how to make the GPS be reliable?

Cheers - Jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Hi Jon,

What version of vistumbler are you using. Are you using the latest 10.6 beta 3? Are you using the kernel32 com interface on (settings --> gps settings)?

I have seen the problem you described when I was using gps from my phone over bluetooth. I made some changes recently to try and fix that some, but its possible the issue still exists.

The sound you mentioned is the gps disconnection sound... it happens when you don't get any data from the gps in over 10 seconds. If you try to reconnect and it disconnects right away it usually means there is either a connection issue or the gps isn't sending any data. Vistumbler will reset the gps position back to 0.0000 0.0000 if there hasn't been GPGGA data in over 30 seconds.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Good afternoon, Andrew -

Thank you for the response and the efforts you made to develop the program. It's very much appreciated!

The version is 10.6 Beta 3, at least that's what it says in the Title bar.

Yes, I am using Kernel32 com interface, COM1 (native serial interface on MB), 4800, 8, 1, none. GPS Format is dd.dddd.

It's an interesting behavior I see with the program. The "Actual loop time:", which I believe is related to the "Refresh loop time(ms)" in the Settings>Misc tab, is at the default of 1000 ms. When I'm running Scan APs, the loop time can be on the order of 1000 ms to as much as >27000 ms (so far). Depends on the area I'm in and perhaps the number of APs, I am guessing. Is the GPS read process parallel to the AP scan process?

If I unplug the GPS and then press "Use GPS", in 10 sec or so I'll get the chime/doorbell noise, and the Stop GPS button will revert to Use GPS. I can do that over and over again and until I reconnect the GPS, it will time out as you state. If I do a similar thing but instead of disconnecting the GPS serial line and instead disconnect power to the GPS board, the chime will happen as before but as soon as power is applied, even the empty sentences coming out of the GPS seem to make the software happy and I don't get the chime.

Enabling Use GPS but without enabling Scan APs, the GPS has the problem I started this thread with, that it shows a good lat / lon in the "Latitude: N33.59nnnn" and "Longitude: W 1111.94nnnnn". This GPS is one of those that have an internal drift limiter (never liked that) so the reported lat/lon stays constant until there's some perception of speed or motion. Beside the regular "Seconds Since GPS Update:....." message, the majority of the GPnnn sentences that I do see in the text field below the "Actual loop time:" label are nearly all GPRMC, with a GPGGA being seen only every 10-30 seconds or so. But realize that the text strings are flashing by pretty fast so I could miss one or more and not know it. Also I can tell you that when I do catch the GPRMC sentences in that text box, the UTC Time field is almost always between 1 and 6 second increments from the previous one.

I know that the GPS is working properly, I've put a data trap on it while running the program. I've also run XPort and used that to provide virtual COM ports and isolate the program from the GPS, and then watch the GPS using PuTTY on one of the other virtual COM ports. So I'm relatively comfortable that the GPS is behaving well.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I can even video the desktop and send that to you if that would be useful for you.

Cheers - Jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I just put out an update, 10.6 Beta 4, which adds a few gps options to (Settings --> Gps Settings). One I think may help you is an option to disable to 10 second disconnect.

Since you are using an atom and vistumbler's langauge Autoit is kind of heavy on the cpu, I recommend keeping the extra features to a minimum. Most of vistumblers features are done in a linear way. the only thing that is done in parallel in the export functions (like kml/auto export) and the "speak" functions , which run as separate processes. Because of this, any extra feature used could increase the "loop" time. Ideally the program will try to go through a loop in the time specified in "Refresh loop time", but sometimes that's just not possible.

On my atom tablet my settings for best performance my settings look something like this
- Disable/Uncheck any unneeded function in the "Options" menu
- Disable/Uncheck experimental wifidb features in "WiFiDB" menu
- Make sure view "Add new APs to top" is unchecked. adding APs to the top of the list will make the "loop" take longer
- Do not interact with vistumbler while scanning is taking place. The script pauses when anything is done, so doing things in the gui pauses scanning. you will see "actual loop time" make a massive spike when ever you interact with the gui.
- When scanning on the go, the one extra I like to use is Auto KML, which lets you track your APs in google earth without messing with vistumber (and your scan results). See (Settings --> Auto KML) and (Extra --> Open KML NetworkLink)

I know some of this doesn't sound ideal, but Autoit, which vistumbler is written in, is more a Scripting/Automation language. Autoit isn't ideal for this type of program, but is what I knew when I started it :-)
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

evening, Andrew -

Thanks very much for the update - where do I find it :D

Yep, I know the Atom (even the dual-core) is pretty wimpy, but it's the first computer in the truck that's been able to run all night for several nights in a row during this time of year and not pull the battery below 11.5 VDC. That's a good thing...

As far as programming languages, you use what you have. I have tried to turn off as many options as possible; I will use your suggestions and make sure I've got everything shut off that's not absolutely needed. I was worried about using Auto-KML, that it would put more load on Vistumbler, so I have avoided it. In any event, the truck computer doesn't have reliable wireless connectivity, so GE would balk at that. I'll wait until I get back to the homestead and then dump the ViStumb files to the home machine and do that from there.

I recently got onto the Raspberry Pi train, so maybe there's a way I can get something like Kismet running and modify it for my purposes. I mainly do mapping of Wi-Fi APs and the run statistics on open vs closed, channel number, range, etc. It's another of my hobbies. But I also have a Mobius ActionCam in the truck and if there's a Cox Cable Wi-Fi AP (or some other known open AP) in range, a program tries to push a picture from the camera to my website. It's kind of neat to see where I've run across connectivity.

Cheers and thanks again - Jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

If you have auto update enabled you should get a prompt to update when you open vistumbler. If not, you can get the updated vistumbler.exe from github ( https://github.com/RIEI/Vistumbler/raw/ ... umbler.exe )...just replace the old vistumbler.exe with this one.

Google earth does like to have a internet connection, but it doesn't need one to run. I usually just try to cache the area i'm going to be scanning before I go out since i don't usually have an internet connection either. Just browsing an area in google earth is enough to get it cached. I like using AutoKML and having it "fly-to" my current location...it gives something to look at without taking hands away from driving.

I understand getting an atom. I just picked up a atom tablet with a built in location sensor. Its a nice small devicice with everything all in one unit. They are a little on the underpowered side, but i've been able to use mine to scan and have google earth up.

Mapping wifi is the main reason me and my friend phil started Vistumbler. I don't know if you have seen our WifiDB at live.wifidb.net, but this was made to try and map all the different scans we were doing (and there are quite a few by us).
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Another thing I find helps is to set your device to "High Performance" mode in windows power options. This seems to help vistumbler performance quite a bit.

If you device is missing "High Performance" in power options, this may help you http://www.techidiots.net/notes/windows ... erformance
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

ACalcutt wrote:If you have auto update enabled you should get a prompt to update when you open vistumbler...
Very nifty :D

Due to an incident with a flying shovel, the truck (and the computer within) is in the shop, but as soon as it returns I will install the update automagically and see if I can tune up the system better.
ACalcutt wrote:Another thing I find helps is to set your device to "High Performance" mode in windows power options. This seems to help vistumbler performance quite a bit...
Good point. Not sure where that's set right now. I will check that also.
ACalcutt wrote:Mapping wifi is the main reason me and my friend phil started Vistumbler. I don't know if you have seen our WifiDB at live.wifidb.net, but this was made to try and map all the different scans we were doing (and there are quite a few by us).
No, I didn't realize that this was there. I've downloaded and waiting for GE to show the entire DB. Hopefully I can contribute a bit.

Cheers - Jon
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

ACalcutt wrote:Mapping wifi is the main reason me and my friend phil started Vistumbler. I don't know if you have seen our WifiDB at live.wifidb.net, but this was made to try and map all the different scans we were doing (and there are quite a few by us).
I gave up on GE attempting to open the entire DB :shock:

While waiting, it seemed that there were some drives in the west, along I80, and maybe in CA or somewhere like that. However, when I went through the DB and imported individual dailies, there didn't seem to be a way to isolate by lat/lon or GIS so I never found those for out west.

What are typical setups for a wardriving computer? Laptops with quad-cores? External antennas?

Cheers - Jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Heh, yeah... our full database kml has gotten pretty large and google earth doesn't behave well. to improve performance it looks like we need to split that large kml into smaller regions for google earth to handle it better. I can't get that full db to load on my atom at all. I have to use my desktop to view it... and google earth struggles the whole time.

I think right now the only way to tell which APs have gps is to look at the lists that have blue globes in the. the blue globe tell you the AP has gps. WifiDB is still a work in progress, so maybe I will add something to

For setups I think it varies. I'm sure we will see a move or are already seeing a move toward all in one devices like mobiles or tablets. Some people are going to want high gain wifi adapters (possibly like an antenna) to get as many aps as possible. Some people are going to want better gps units for higher position accuarcy. It all depends what you are looking for. For most of my scans I used a dell laptop with a usb gps because that was what we had when we started vistumbler. Recently I am trying a ASUS Note 8 because I wanted something with less wires, lower power requirements (no 120v interverter needed). The downside is it is a little less powerful, and i have to use a program called "Centrafuse Localizer" to use the built in location sensor. The gps on the tablet is ok, but I got a better position with my usb gps on my dash in full view of the sky.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Ok, the truck returned home today. I first allowed VS to update itself. I am now running V10.6 Beta 4.

I found the new options in the GPS area and unchecked the "disconnect GPS" and "reset GPS position". Then took it out for a spin around the neighborhood. Collected a lot of APs and was able to download the KML file to the desktop and view it. I also made a VS1 file and am now watching it being imported into the WiFiDB.

It seems to be working better.

Got back to the house, and after moving the files, closed VS. Re-opened it a few minutes later, and now MalWareBytes is now detecting ViStumbler.exe as a trojan. It quarantines it, then I unquarantine it, and then it requarantines it... I had to put an exception in for MWB to stop quarantining the .exe file. Anyone else seeing that problem?

Cheers - Jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

False positives with vistumbler are quite common unfortunately. my typical suggestion is to submit a false positive report with the company that reported it. Things written in Autoit tend to get flagged by av companies. I think it is lazyness on their part.

However, I do take malware seriously. If you ever see any malware, ads, bundles or anything else suspicious from vistumbler please let me know. I've spent a lot of time removing malware from people computers and don't want vistumbler to become a source of more malware.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

arizonajon wrote:
ACalcutt wrote:
ACalcutt wrote:Another thing I find helps is to set your device to "High Performance" mode in windows power options. This seems to help vistumbler performance quite a bit...
Good point. Not sure where that's set right now. I will check that also.
I have now set the PC to be in "High Performance" mode. I'll take it out for a run later and see what difference, if any there is.

Cheers - Jon