Can Vistumbler work for a gps & gprs Modem?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else
mivale

Can Vistumbler work for a gps & gprs Modem?

Post by mivale »

Hello friends i have a modem Sierra Wireless" "airlink" "PinPoint X" with gps, mounted in a car. Do you think i can get gps data with Vistumbler. My idea is get a kml file and plotting the places where the car was?

Thanks for your time. any idea would be great.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Can Vistumbler work for a gps & gprs Modem?

Post by ACalcutt »

I'm not sure about that device. Most things will work with vistumbler as long as it comes up as a com port and use nmea data. Do you know if this device has a driver to do this? It seems to be a network interface from the pictures i have seen...which I have never tried with vistumbler

You should be able to use just the gps portion if you wanted. When you connect the gps and hit the "Use GPS" button it will start logging gps information. Just make sure "Options --> Save GPS data when no APs are active" is checked.

When you export the kml the only section that you need is "GPS Track"
mivale

Re: Can Vistumbler work for a gps & gprs Modem?

Post by mivale »

Thanks ACalcutt for response, it comes with a db-9 serial port and y see that it can send different types of gps report. The options are:
GPS DATA
GPS+date
GPS+date+RF
GPS+date+RF+EIO
Events Report 6
NMEA GGA+VTG
NMEA GGA+VTG+RMC

TAIP data
Compact TAIP data
TAIP LN report
TAIP TM report
XORA data

I dont know how it would be posible that i can use the gps portion, i am using Vistamble version for windows 7. I would like to ask the location from my computer in my house to the gps/gprs modem mounted on the car.

Thanks for response.