Wouldn't it be cool! ( Just rambling on...)

A place to talk about wardriving
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Wouldn't it be cool! ( Just rambling on...)

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

I am really hung up on the idea of being able to get a bearing on any given AP while wardriving.. Not for hacking, but just for curiosity's sake. Vistumbler with the new ranging circles in conjuntion with my VAGI directional works pretty well and seeing as my vagi mount is not easily aimed, I am living with it. As long as I keep the Vagi at a fixed, known angle to direction of travel, I can guesstimate pretty well.

So I had a picture of a directional antenna mounted on a horizontal t-mount with a pair of USB GPS recievers mounted on the crossbar of the tee so when the mount is rotated, a differential can be calculated showing the degree of the rotation. this way a precise bearing can be calculated regardless of the heading of the host vehicle.

Would definatly have a GEEK Kewlness factor!! LOL.

Or how about a pair of directionals with independant radios mounted on a motorized rotating crossbar that would work on the differential of signal strengths of any given AP as determined by MAC address! The programming would move the mount into the direction of the antenna with the strongest signal until signal differential between the antennas equalize.

this thought was inspired by an article I saw 20 years ago in Popular mechanics on how to build a mount that allows a solar panel to autotrack the sun. It used an simple electrical circuit including a pair of photocells and an electric drive motor to keep the panel aimed directly at the sun. The cels were mounted on opposite sides of a divider. When the movement of the sun caused a shadow to fall across either of the photocells, the circuit would activate the tracking motor to rotate the whole shebang in the direction of the shaded cell until the difference is zero. Hmm.. I guess that could have been improved upon to provide tracking in elevation by addeng a second pair of photocells in a vertical arangement.

Just rambling

-- mystic
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"