Woo hoo!!!!

A place to talk about wardriving
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Woo hoo!!!!

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

My new GPSr arrived via USPS today!!!! Will be remounting the tower and a few other accessory odds and ends tommorrow! Expect new data in a week or two time!
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Woo hoo!!!!

Post by ACalcutt »

very nice :-)
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

well, had been having starts and fits with the new GPSr... Seems to "drop" in and out on stumbler... will acquire and display coords for 3-5 sec then 'dissapear' with no positional data being acquired and the cooords showing zero-zero's I am fairly sure is a USB hardware glitch. I am going to have to bite the bullet and by a larger electronics enclosure. I need to be able to mount a powered USB hub , the radio and the GPSr. Trying to reduce the number of cables running out the door LOL...
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

ya...that does sound like a usb hub power issue. Have you tried plugging the gps directly into your laptop to see if it has the same issue?

You may also want to try using CommMG instead of kernel32 (in GPS options) if it doesn't end up being a power option
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

IS agreed, Andrew....I removed the powered hub from the setup and plugged directly into comm port 9. Works a charm. Also learned that this particular anufacure of GPS unit is ummmm.."particular" about which USB I use.. does not like either the powered or non powered hubs.

Argh! I need more ports!! LOL... with the GPSr in it's own primary USB port and then the antenna, my new bluetooth and my new wireless mouse in the Targuus hub, all works well enough.

I did also notice that Vistumbler gives a GPS timing out message ( no response after 10 seconds) until the GPS warms up from a cold start. This particuar model has a 38 second initial acquisition from cold start so it takes 4 tries before vistumbler and the GPSr starts communicating positional data.

Runs fine from both warm and hot restart modes.

... Will be making new runs soonest.

BTW started my AutoIT tutorials today. seems simple enough. will be a while before coding anything remotlhy usefull, though.