Warscout hardware update1

A place to talk about wardriving
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Warscout hardware update1

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Finally got hold of the PVC that I had had stashed at dear ole Mom's! I love PVC.. is like tinkertoys or K'Nex for grownups!

Another fortunate happenstance... the pipe clamp used with the Vagi antenna is sized for both 1inch and 1.25 inch piping!
No, I did not know this. It did take a little dremeling down and camfering down of a few sharp corners but all fit snug.
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Warscout hardware update1

Post by ACalcutt »

You other version looked a little less conspicuous ;-) does it get better signal higher up?

What in the rectangular box? Is that the router you mention you where going to add?
mysticvirgo67

Re: Warscout hardware update1

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Oh it is far more conspicuous but I think it is worth it for the reduction of interference from top of vehicle. I have seen an improvement in range and in transfer rates. I WAS lucky to be getting 1/4 mile on a regular basis and now 1/2 mile detections are becoming more common.

Plus the main mast IS removable, so I can take radio and all and stash it in the van or bring it inside for diagnostics and experimentation.

Inside the enclosure is the same 500mW realtek/Alpha/WifiLink USB adapter that I have been using for several weeks now. I love those adapters.. powerful, Cheap and seem to be VERY reliable

IF you post a link to WiFi-link.com and then go to thier site and tell them about it along with the link to the post, they will ship a free one to you to KEEP! I have been scheming to lay hands on another one, just have been to busy to build an identity

I have been getting more looks and questions now. Plus the mast DOES generate a significant amount of drag at highway speed.

I should try to lay hands on either a panel or backfire style antenna for freeway use

I have learned that PVC pipe is great becasue it is modular.. Is possible to have a variety of radio and antenna combinations each with thier own masts that can be swapped in and out.

I have a 16dB colinear omnidirectional antenna that was gifted to me by the same friend that had gifted me the other hardware so I will buy a few more 1.25 inch fittings and see if I can make a removable mount for it, too. Removable for that tall beast ( close to 5 ft) is mandatory. Would use it while stationary.

Once I do get to run a converted wrt54g board, (mod for PoE and rsma pigtails), I could have one heck of a repeater setup.

Currently ( warning PUN ahead) I am starting to reach a power crisis. 500mW is translating to a serious drain on my laptop's battery, so I am also conjuring some way to add an externally powered USB hub to the entire rig. far plan is for solar power and a battery so rig can be independantly powered from van power.

Oh, I think this is going beyond scope of general wardriving and into hardware..

---mystic
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"