My Rig

A place to talk about wardriving
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

My Rig

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Pics havent been taken yet, But I am currently runnin HP530 Laptop with internal Broadcomm card ( soon to be upgraded to an external connector) , A Wi-Fi Link/Alpha/Realtek 500mW USB adapter mounted in weatherproof enclosure connected to a Pacific Wireless 16dBi Vagi.. Woot!

Software toys include inSSIDer, NetSurveyor , Wefi, and Of Course ,Vistumbler. All supported by "Warscout" My trusty, but not yet rusty, Crystler Voyager.

Future upgrades planned are : Swapping out the USB for a PoE router supported by dd-wrt firmware and mounting the Vagi on a rotating mount. Ultimate goal is to have "wifi on the fly" So I think I will need a second , rearward facing Vagi with the DDWRT in universal Repeater Mode. Average speed in town 50 mph so I suppose I need to look for a connection manager that is MUCH faster than windows or wefi. Will see. Sure are some out there.

Oh I can also be reached at the the Wireless and WiFi forums at http://www.wirelessforums.org/
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: My Rig

Post by ACalcutt »

Sounds like an interesting setup. I would definitely like to see some pictures when your done :-). Gotta love the wrt54g versitility. I've done the POE mod on my friends router (http://www.techidiots.net/project-pages ... -mod)...it works good :-).

How do you plan to collect results when using dd-wrt instead of a usb adapter?
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

I Suppose I will have to use Vistumbler/Realtek combo for the initial survey work and the DDWRT/Linksys for actual connectivity. I have never been a coder, so I will have to let coders take that ball. Will have pics today. Looking for digicam as I reply..
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
mysticvirgo67

Re: My Rig Photos

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Apologies for the fuzzyness.. apparantly my lens needs cleaning ( I am in ur camraz, smudgin ur pics )
Oh and like other PHPBBS pic posters I will need a litle pracrise shrinking to fit
Overall View

Closeup of rig

realtek/Alpha/wifi-link radio in enclosure

ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Looks cool :-). seems to me it would be a cop magnet around here...lol.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

LOL Well Cops around here are a little more live and let live.... I hope to eventually get a cartop carrier to mount it all in.. kinda sorta like the radomes the airforce uses on thier ECM aircraft ... if I can scrounge a good one. Does solve the problem of finding the van in crowded parking lots.

I am considering getting into wireless security, so Any questions I get from John Q Law and his cousin JQ Public I could always try to turn to gold ( or green or whatever color is in vouge for our monies)