Monitor mode

A place to talk about wardriving
dlp

Monitor mode

Post by dlp »

At first: hi people. :)
so, i am running an Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN atm, and can't find any way to get it to monitor mode.
is there any solution or do i need to buy an extra usb-wlan-stick? and if so, which one should i buy?
my system is running on vista home premium 64bit, but also i am thinking of a change to windows 7 or linux again.

regards, dlp
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: Monitor mode

Post by ACalcutt »

What is happening? Is it not showing any access point or is it just giving bad results?

I just got this same card today myself and found access points went Active/Dead constantly. I modified vistumbler some today to make it work better with this card (http://forum.techidiots.net/forum/viewt ... t=201#p757)

If you are not getting result check to make sure the proper access point is selected (http://forum.techidiots.net/forum/viewt ... t=202#p741)
dlp

Post by dlp »

hm.. well the problem is not in vistumbler anymore.. vistumbler is working fine, except it doesnt show channel information and mac adresses.
but thats not the problem, those i could find out with my mobilephone too.
the problem appears when i try to use airodump. it just says "no suitable devices found" - so i googled a lot, read tuts, tips and found in several forums where is mentioned that this card does not support monitor mode. well under linux it worked once, but crashed quite often.
maybe this is also not the right forum for questions like this, but it was where i had most hope for an good answer :)
or could i catch packets with vistumbler too? as far as i can see its not a program like that, is it?

sorry for the late answer, but thanks for your fast one :lol:

regards, dlp
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

If it is not showing MAC or Channel information it is most likely because you are using native wifi mode (Options -> Use Native Wifi). Vistumbler gives more information in netsh mode (Use Native Wifi unchecked).

Also, make sure "Options --> Auto Refresh Networks" is checked. In the older versions of vistumbler going into native wifi mode would turn off network refreshing
It is currently

Monitor mode

Post by It is currently »

Is there an Monitor Mode now?
ACalcutt

Monitor mode

Post by ACalcutt »

No, not at this time. Vistumbler users the windows wireless api or netsh to get its information.

Monitor mode is probably not going to be included in vistumbler any time soon. It would require strict hardware and drivers. I think if I were to ever tackle it it would start as a separate program.
It is currently

Monitor mode

hmm it work with the "Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4" but the fronend isnt good for Wardrifing.
The huge Problem is the Antenna. I cant use an Big Antenna on the Roof for Active Scanning.
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Monitor mode

Post by pferland »

Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 is a packet capture software like Wireshark. It is not the same as a Wireless scanner that just grabs the WiFi information. Vistumbler does not capture packets, just the Wireless identifying information.
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
It is currently

Monitor mode

but it send active pagate.
ACalcutt

Monitor mode

Post by ACalcutt »

I think if you want to get into the packet level and monitor mode you are going to want to look into the airmon-ng linux tools, maybe using a distro like BackTrack which already has it included.

Vistumbler doesn't work at the packet level. it uses the windows api or netsh and only stores public information about the access point.