Most Simultaneous active APs? (xxx/nnn)

A place to talk about wardriving
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Yesterday, while I was doing some driving near here, I got what was for me a new record of 183 APs in one loop, the loop time was 97 seconds, btw. Before, my tops had been 80 and 72. Vistumbler was very quiet for those 97 seconds, not a tick or a sproing! Fortunately, I was stopped in a parking lot for that time so I could wait for it to complete!

Cheers - Jon
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

Most of the time it takes is probably just adding the access point into the list and tree in the gui. I don't think I've got THAT many APs at once, but I have gooten enough to cause some slowness.

Me and Phil have talked about making a versions of lite Vistumbler for wardriving that kept all the save options but got rid of the list and treeview which seem to slow things down. This wouldn't be as pretty to look at, but I'm betting it would speed things up a lot and give the best scan results.

I kind of wonder what it would take to make hiding listview/treeview an option (instead of a second version)...
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arizonajon »

Today I had many in the 100+ range, but the big kahuna was 246 APs and (I think) 139 seconds. This location was about 1000' NW of my previous record. I was on a service road inside the huge Scottsdale Healthcare complex at the time, surrounded by hospital buildings.

When I'm running Vistumbler mobile I'm not interacting with it much at all, now, since you've got the autosave and restart built in. The enhanced audio feedback keeps me in the loop that things are working. I like having the display of the APs, but since making it always put the most recent on top consumes a lot of horsepower, the list display isn't that useful while mobile. If there were at least a way to keep scrolling the list so that I could see the newest APs even at the bottom of the list that would be handy, especially when I'm looking for a friendly AP like CoxWiFi or CableWiFi. However, at least while I'm mobile I can't really spend much time even glancing at things.

Is the tree the left-hand portion of the window? If so, I have to say I've never used that. Maybe I'd use it at home to review or analyze data collected while mobile, but it's hard to do much on an 8" 800x600 touchpanel display while driving :D

Cheers - Jon