Scans of a looooong drive

A place to share your drives
mysticvirgo67
Mad Poster / Moderator / Promoter

Scans of a looooong drive

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Zipped folder containing the VS1's and the KML's of a long trip from Lexington KY to winchester KY Via Man O' War Blvd , Interstate I-75, I-64 adn back again.

What I found most interesting is the stretch of I-64 from it's interchange with I-75 east to the Clark County (Winchester ) line.
The sparsity of houses along this route makes it very easy to match up AP's with structures.
Attachments
2009-07-19.zip
Zip of both VS1 and KML of Long drive
(632.54 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Scans of a looooong drive

Post by pferland »

if only Google updated their imagery faster, I can only imagine what it looks like at the end of the drive in Winchester. There's a lot of APs grouped up there, lots of open ones with strong siganals :-) lol.
keep up the good driving,
soon the database will be stable again lol, and you can start throwing lists in there also
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Post by ACalcutt »

sure it will be stable soon phil ;-)
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

YEah ditto... But seeing as Google and Microsoft Bing rely on the gubbmin't for thier imagry, not much to be done. Let ya know that all a good 75-80% of the blank ssid's are the traffic control network and that I had one HELL of a view of the town to my south. Lots of hotels, motels and a couple of apartment complexes up on a bluff a couple miles away.

Random wondering, Is google rich ehough for thier own photo imagry satellite? US wouldn't let them do it, but betcha china would LOL
"People don't need restore. They just need recovery...and the occasional hard boot"
"The maximum acceleration of a PC is limited only by the amount of explosives used"
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

but they do have their own sat, Geoeye-1
although they don't directly own it, they do have pretty much exclusive use of it.

-Phil

also i don't see why the US would restrict Google from owning a satellite... kind of would defeat the purpose of a free market and enhancing technology...
just my thoughts
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

WEll, last fewarticles I read on subject ( several years ago) cited nationals security so that all images released by government is alwaya 2 years behind. SOmething about not letting any potenetial threats to the nation from having up to date intell about military bases ect..
If I were Google, and had exclusivity for a sat.. I wouldn't be letting the public at large at the images when I cold charge a nice little fee.. Capitalism at its best ;)
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pferland »

well that is true, areas of sensitivity do have a reduced image quality, even though commercial image sats are limited to 50cm imagery, where the military can use its 43cm or less. but that's not going to stop someone with a camera from driving down the street and take a picture. :ninja:

I don't know about the being delayed for 2 years part, never heard of that at least for a gov restriction, but companies would want their imagery to get as much $ out of it for as long as possible.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

So check this out for a hair-pulling frustration.

Have the Vagi and radio on a taller mount and I wanted to take the state highway that paralles the interstate between lexington and Winchester so that I could get a triangulation on some AP's in between the interstate and the highway. Made the run out and back and as I was processing and exporting to VS1 and KML, I ran out of juice in my laptop. ALL the data was LOST! have searched through all the save files, ran Vista search UGH!!! an hour's worth of drive gone! ACK!!! :cry:

So I suppose I will get the next opportunity next weekend.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

thats strange...if the laptop died you should have had both the last autosave and the database file. The next time you opened vistumbler it should have said it found an existing database and asked you if you wanted to recover it.
mysticvirgo67

Post by mysticvirgo67 »

Nope I thought of that ... just flat evaporated. No worries. as soon as I can get the short mast on the van, I will do it over. I run that direction about twice a month. Expect it again next weekend.

---mystic
"There is no truth, Only the almighty signal"
--Serenity