Wandering Wi-Fi APs

A place to share your drives
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by arizonajon »

I know I mentioned this before, back when I found an AP in Scottsdale that had once been in New Hampshire or Massachusetts.

Yesterday during my travels I once again came across a person perhaps named Marion with either their cellphone's hot spot on or a Wi-Fi equipped car.

noiram2 - 02:10:18:45:44:21
no ssid - 02:10:18:45:44:22
Channel 44 (5 GHz band)

It seems that I have encountered this person (or their vehicle) in two places in Southern California, in many places in the Phoenix area, and sometimes even been side by side with them for a distance of a block or so. The strongest signal rule places them in Pomona, in Southern California.

Hope they're not stalking me %^)

Again, it'd be really cool to have a way to ID these APs.

Cheers - Jon N7UV
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by pferland »

With all the Wardriving that you do I am not really surprised that you have seen a few APs in more than one location. Then again maybe they are following you....

As for a way to ID APs. Not quite sure what you are looking for there. There is the Label field that you can set and will get carried over into WiFiDB.

-Phil
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by arizonajon »

By ID'ing I mean have a way to see that some APs report widely different positions over time. Top 10 "wandering AP" List - the ones with the most positions different by at least a mile or something like that...

Every AP with GPS information in the db has a nominal position, maybe the mean of the lat/lons. That mean is noted. Next time the AP is captured, the db checks against the last known mean position - if the position is off by more than some distance (100m, 1000m, etc.), that could just raise a "migrating AP" flag, and it could be searched for by that. Could get more fancy, and actually calculate new mean positions based upon the new data, and each of those mean positions saved. The more new mean positions recorded, the higher the wandering AP score. Something like that.
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by pferland »

Sounds like something that would be interesting to see. Will take a look into it. Would you mind creating a feature request in the github repo for me?
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by arizonajon »

noiram2 is everywhere! In New Hampshire, in Chicagoland, in LA, and in Phoenix. And I haven't even been to NH, so they may be following someone else :D

8A:15:04:FB:99:A1 on 2.4 GHz
02:10:18:45:44:21 on 5 GHz
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by ACalcutt »

Its the same name, but always a different MAC Address. I couldn't find anything relating to what "noiram" may be.

That makes me wonder if we could add a new statistic, like how many other access points have the same name and maybe also how many access points have the same mac address.
ACalcutt

Wandering Wi-Fi APs

Post by ACalcutt »

I was also thinking some type of grouping would be useful. like say you click the ssid and get a list of all access points with that name. The search function we have could probably be used for that pretty easily, we would just need to put hyperlinks to search by different information on the ap details page.