arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

Check out this .kmz...
madmouse.kmz
(22.77 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
Interesting how well one can hear APs on the ground as well as the number of systems on board that are all running Wi-Fi. Lots of people's phones, perhaps in airplane mode (cellular off) but with Wi-Fi on. This log started at the gate just as the plane was about to push back.
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Warflying

Post by ACalcutt »

At first i was wondering if you had made the wifi drone, but this is cool. I like how you can see the banking and flight path in access points up to a certain height.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

pretty cool, huh? I was amazed at the coverage. Unfortunately, I can't be sure that all the ones out west of O'Hare are on the ground or in the plane. I'll try it again this week here at Memphis and see. Memphis is very small, though, so it may not be very interesting...
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

forgot to ask for a window seat. Next time, if possible. I'd like to capture the takeoff from PHX and the landing at ORD, which is likely where I'm going next week.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

Was on AA 1100 this morning from PHX to ORD. The first is the first 45 min or so of the outbound flight

https://live.wifidb.net/wifidb/opt/user ... t&row=7047

This one is the final 45 min or so of the arrival into O'Hare. Note the big hairpin out over Lake Michigan.

https://live.wifidb.net/wifidb/opt/user ... t&row=7048

Need a more compact and discreet setup for WiFlying.
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by pferland »

Discreet would be good for less wary stairs lmao. Do you have a HAM license? I saw a post the other day about someone using their ham radio on a plane with the captans permission and got a contact.

I am almost done water proofing my dev build of the weather station. Just need to put it back together and find a Wi-Fi card for the pi zero that I got for it.
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

sorry, I meant "warflying". Gotta stick to the script!

Note the several APs that are well off the path taken. These appear to be ones that I collected by car a while back.

Also note that the "OK RV Wi-Fi" on the Arizona one was recorded somewhere a bit east of Winslow AZ but according to Google, the only thing that kind of lines up is OK RV Park in Holbrook, about 29 miles east. Pretty decent range.
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

I think at one time in the distant past I did do a contact from an airplane, but it must have been a long time ago and well before everyone got so 'touchy' about doing things on planes. I do have friends who are/were pilots and hams and they used to have (and sometimes till do) all sorts of fun, especially on older airplanes that had HF communications. They'd work the world!
pferland
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by pferland »

Holy crap Jon, I was looking at your first file and the flight out, and I can see that you picked up an AP that you added back in 2015 in Payson, AZ roughly 4 miles away from where your plane was flying by.
4miles.png
4miles.png (1002.27 KiB) Viewed 18723 times

I also found this AP in the first file that you were able to pick up at roughly 28K Feet. https://live.wifidb.net/wifidb/opt/fetch.php?id=2395518
The best acceleration you can get on a Mac is 9.8ms^2
arizonajon
Contributor
Contributor

Warflying

Post by arizonajon »

Didn't realize that the database recorded altitude as well! And so many satellites for just peeping out a right side window.

Pretty amazing, huh? Not only 4+ miles above the ground (Payson is ~5000 ft AMSL) but 20k ft horizontal for a range of 28k feet. That's darned impressive for a run of the mill AP at a motel.