getting started

proj964

getting started

Post by proj964 »

v10.5.1 beta 2

my ap manufacturer doesn't show. tried to add ubiquiti 9c9fdb but it says already there..however if i look in the list it does NOT show up?????

link to wiki from help menu is broken

in the github vistumbler wiki ... summary for summery?
ACalcutt
Vistumbler / TechIdiots Admin

Re: getting started

Post by ACalcutt »

9C9FDB doesn't seem to exist in http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt , which is my source for mac addresses and manufacturers. I tested manually adding the manufacturer and it seemed to work. (though I notice there is not prompt to indicate it is successful the first time...and it adds to the top of the mac address list.)

The wiki has never had much of anything, so I'm not sure how useful it is. I did move what was in the sourceforge over to github. I will have to update these links.
proj964

Post by proj964 »

Hi, The first time I tried adding the manufacturer it said it was already there. This time it added it without complaint and I saw the same behaviors as you did. However, when I said OK to the settings, it stalled for a minute or so and now I have a black background window with white stripes and no columns where the AP data would be. I rebooted and restarted the app, but that is all it will show me; not sure what to do next. Jon
I attached the settings file as well.
vistumbler window problem.png
vistumbler window problem.png (55.22 KiB) Viewed 38011 times
Attachments
vistumbler_settings.ini
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I haven't seen that happen in a long time...but it used to happen when the setting file gets messed up. I would close vistumbler, delete the settings.ini and open vistumbler again (which will recreate the settings file with the settings file.)

EDIT: Strange. It seems like the color values in the settings file get zeroed out while adding manufacturers...I had the same issue here
You can manually change them back to the defaults in settings.ini....the colors should be the following
TextColor=0x000000
BackgroundColor=0x99B4A1
ControlBackgroundColor=0xD7E4C2
proj964

Post by proj964 »

i don't see a settings.ini in Vistumbler/, just vistumbler_settings.ini in Vistumbler/Settings.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Yes, you are correct... Vistumbler/Settings/vistumbler_settings.ini
proj964

Post by proj964 »

Fixed the colors--thanks!
Something else got damaged because it doesn't ask to recover the db, it just starts without any APs.

Edit:
I think all of the column widths are all zero as well. I think I will try deleting the settings file and see what happens.

Edit:
That's better...just have to retune the settings...no big deal.
THANKS!
proj964

Post by proj964 »

I tried changing the auto sort settings and went down the same rabbit-hole. :(
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Typically if you exit properly it doesn't save the database. You usually shouldn't see that prompt.

The ways you would see the prompt should be
1.) You exited vistumbler using (File -> Exit (Save DB))
2.) You update manufacturers using (Extra --> Update Manufactuers)
3.) Vistumbler crashed at some time in the past and you haven't removed the mdb file (when it prompts to recover the file can be deleted)

I am looking into the zeroing out of the colors. It seems like if I don't go to the first tab when changing settings it is zeroing out the colors.
proj964

Post by proj964 »

Ok. I better understand saving/recovery and settings problem first tab work around--- :D
Thanks for your help, Jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

I posted up beta 3 to attempt to fix the issues you mentioned.

The settings issues seem to be caused by the version of autoit I compiled in. I recompiled in the latest version and it seemed to have fixed the issue for me.

I also noticed my language file got messed up earlier. If you go to the searchwords tab and it is all 0s...you may want to delete your language file so vistumbler redownloads it (or you can re-download it manually from https://github.com/RIEI/Vistumbler/tree ... /Languages )
proj964

Post by proj964 »

Hi,
Settings fix verified.
Search words were indeed gone.
Deleted language file and program helpfully downloaded a new one.
WOW -- Thanks for the quick fixes.
Jon
PS Any thoughts to a usb interface to GPS rather than serial? I have a usb gps on order and was planning on using gpsgate 2.6.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

Right now the only option is the serial connection (it can be usb as long as it shows up as a com port). I've looked into using the windows location sensor, but haven't found a way to access it using autoit.

I am currently using the GlobalSat BU-353 recommended by mystic in this post ( viewtopic.php?f=29&t=380&p=1392#p1262 )

EDIT: I have also used gps gate with vistumbler and it worked well. I mainly used gpsgate so I could set up extra virtual com ports and use other software at the same time.There was also a free program I used called Xport, which was a free com port splitter http://www.curioustech.net/xport.html
proj964

Post by proj964 »

Andrew, all good stuff to know; thanks.
I'll let you know how my gps interfaces when i get it.
Jon
proj964

Post by proj964 »

I got my 65 channel gps dongle. it has a set of virtual com port drivers that install as "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM7) on my system.
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

What gps did you get? Have you had a chance to try it with vistumbler yet?
proj964

Post by proj964 »

GPS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-65CH- ... 33835c9687

It does work. With its drivers installed, directly to vistumbler. I get Lat and Lon that are "close"; +- a house or so.
The tree view in Google Earth is constantly bouncing up and down; very hard to make a selection.
And the satellite view is constantly shifting the zoom level; makes it hard to view.
If you do mange to make a selection in the tree view, it brings up a big white box of info with an arrow to the map x. Guess it would be nice
if it just highlighted the map location without changing the tree view or zoom level...

-jon
ACalcutt

Post by ACalcutt »

A tip for the google earth view jumping in... Turn off "Fly to current gps position" in (Settings --> Auto KML) then reload the network link using (Extra --> Open KML Network Link)

I found "fly to" useful for when on a trip where you can't really move your location manually
alex123

getting started

Post by alex123 »

nice discussion . i like this